Can not reach other computers connected to the wireless lan.

Hi

I have a WRT300N V2.0 that works like it should against the internet. I have two computers connected by wireless to this router. They are assigned ip-addresses 192.168.1.102 and 192.168.1.105. Both can reach the internet.

What I would like is to be able to run remote desktop from one to the other. The problem is i can not even ping one from the other. Both can ping the router on 192.168.1.1 but i am not able to ping 192.168.1.102 from 192.168.1.105. It is almost as if when i run ping, it runs it on the internet instead of the local network.

Both computers run Win XP SP2 with firewall turned OFF.

Any ideas to what I could be doing wrong?

Reply to
jostein.solstad
Loading thread data ...

any other Firewalls........Norton or Zone Alarm

Reply to
Lez Pawl

No. The firewall that comes with XP is the only one present at both computers. And that is turned OFF.

Reply to
jostein.solstad

well when I was messing with Windoz firewall even with it off it prevented certain accesses.

even though off, go into its settings and under the advanced tab, select your network and tick a few boxes ref your requirements.

and you are running without any other firewall or antivirus.............on your head be it.

dj

Reply to
Lez Pawl

I have tried this as well, but still not able to ping the other computer.

Reply to
jostein.solstad

do both comps share the same network name.............they should

dj

Reply to
Lez Pawl

that's workgroup name sorry...........

Reply to
Lez Pawl

Both have the name WORKGROP set as workgroup.

Reply to
jostein.solstad

another setting

Start, Control Panel, Network and Internet Connections, Network Connections.

Right click your wireless network connection, select Properties.

Under the General tab highlight Internet Protocol TCP/IP then select Properties.

Again under the General tab select Advanced.

under the Wins tab, select enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP............OK

There may be other methods of reaching these files if so use what you know.

do this for both comps.....

restart both comps and wait a few minutes then try pinging again

report back

dj

Reply to
Lez Pawl

On 26 Oct 2006 00:36:03 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

If there's a wireless isolation feature in the WRT300N, turn it off (if possible).

Are you pinging the IP address, or the hostname? If the latter, try the former.

Can you ping when the computers are wired to the WRT300N?

Reply to
John Navas

This is all irrelevant, he's trying to use simple TCP, not netbios.

To the OP: check both machines have the IP address you expect, that their netmask is 255.255.255.0, their default gateway is the router's IP, and that you haven't accidentally plugged one of hte PCs into a WAN port on the router. Also try swapping cables between ports on the router, you may have a duff port.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Have you checked that it is still off? Once in a while, when I do a windows update, the setting is changed back to on....

Sounds exactly like a firewall is turned on somewhere......

Reply to
Peter Pan

we had this precise discussion in another group and it went on for days............that op kept saying there was NO other firewall software then all of a sudden he says "I was tinkering with the settings".............and yes he was now talkin about another piece of protection software............with a Firewall.

Reply to
Lez Pawl

Not familiar with the other thread, just reminded me of a few days pulling my hair out with the same symptoms, and it turned out that something in windows update had installed itself and turned the option back on... Now I always double check settings again, in case they are changed by an automatic update...

Reply to
Peter Pan

"If there's a wireless isolation feature in the WRT300N, turn it off (if possible)"

This was the problem. The situation is solved. Thanks for all the help.

Reply to
jostein.solstad

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.