Can my wireless router get an ip from another wireless router?

i plug my pc into the rj45 port on my linksys router and get a 192.168.1.101 address. How can I make my wireless router get an ip from a wireless router downstairs? Thank you.

Reply to
jd
Loading thread data ...

there are two answers to this.

1. connect a cable between the ethernet port of router one to the WAN port of router 2, but that will not allow you to also give IPs to any computer connected to router 2 from router 1 DHCP service. If you want all computers connected to both routers to get thier IPs from router #1 then you connect a cable from router 1 ethernet port to router 2 ethernet port and disable the DHCP server on router 2.
  2. to do this wirelessly your router must beable to be placed in AP mode or repeater mode. Some can do this, but most dont.

Robert....

Reply to
DLink Guru

You probably can't. Very few consumer priced routers can be DHCP clients on their LAN side. Simply assign it a fixed address in the right range. There's no benefit in DHCP for routers anyway (there's almost no benefit for home networks at all in fact....).

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.