Can I use a wrt45g as a client?

I have a Linksys wrt45g wireless router currently serving as the hub/gateway (is that the right term here) of my wireless network. However, I recently bought a newer linksys router that I will replace it with. I also have three TiVos in a room that have individual wireless clients. Since, most of the communication between the TiVos is either to the internet or between them when I trnasfer programs, I was thinking I'd like to replace the 3 wireless clients with the wrt45g acting as the client to the wireless network, but acting as a switch (or hub) between them. That way if I'm am transfering a program from one TiVo to another there won't be any wireless traffic. However, the wrt45g will not have a direct connection to the internet (as I don't have a cable modem in the TV room and don't want to install a 2nd cable modem (might not even be contractually permitted to without paying more). I also don't want to run a physical cable from the office with the cable modem to the TV room.

Is what I want to do, run the wrt45g as a client, easy to do? Does it require special software instead of the default install software? Can someone point me to instructions or suggestions?

Reply to
Chris F Clark
Loading thread data ...

BTW, it is a linksys WRT54G not wrt45g. I don't know which revision it is though. I don't have access to it at the moment.

Reply to
Chris F Clark

If it is a new WRT54G with version 6, no. There is really nothing you can do, unless you have an older model or buy a WRT54GL.

formatting link
has good information.

Reply to
DTC

DTC hath wroth:

DD-WRT micro works with V5 and v6.

V7 uses an Atheros chipset and is not supported.

V8 is back to Broadcom and works:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks to both of you. This gives me the kind of tips I needed to get started. I think my wrt54g is v 5, but not certain. I know the internal management web page tells me which revision it is though--I remember seeing it previously.

All in all, it sounds like I will be loading custom software to do it. So, I will have to roll the dice to see if I make the bravery check.

Reply to
Chris F Clark

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.