Can I use a PCI to Cardbus adapter ?

I use a cardbus with my laptop that I like a lot.. Can I just put this in one of those adapters they sell on ebay so I can use it with my desktop PC? I want all of the programs to work on my PC that work on my laptop with the card. Has anyone else done this?

This is what I'm looking at:

formatting link

Thanks, Tom King San Diego, CA

Reply to
Tom kingman
Loading thread data ...

Possibly. I've heard tell however that many such adapters tend to work only with a PC card from the same maker.

Sorry, no, I found it much simpler to buy a cheapo USB dongle wireless adapter, which also works much better for a desktop as you can position it somewhere with good signal, as opposed to being at the back of a metal box pressed up against the wall...

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Yes. I'm not sure about that particular model, but I have used such PCI to cardbus/PCMCIA adapters for running laptop cards in desktops without much problem. I haven't done it this way for quite a while, but I do know of several working installations that use such adapters. The adapter you mentioned uses a Richoh R5C485 chipset which requires no driver installation as support is built into XP. It should work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link

Hi, make sure they are compatible. Once I used Lucent Adapter with an Orinoco card without problem. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.