Can I switch Local Area Connections?

check out

formatting link

I use it and highly recommend it

Reply to
riggor9999
Loading thread data ...

Using WinXP Pro a "local area connection" gets used with the wireless card on my laptop. At home I have fixed IP addresses. My router, Zone Alarm, etc. all set up with this.

When I'm out and about, and use open wireless networks to go online, they are set up with DHCP (I believe it's called) for dynamic IP addresses.

So each time I switch from home to abroad, I have to reset my local area connection from my fixed IP address and DNS to "Find automatically", then back again when I get home.

Is there a way to set up two separate local area connections with the settings remembered, one for at home, one for roaming?

This way I would not have to re-type in all the settings.

GC

Reply to
Chips

newbie answer, but do you have a utility for your adapter that allows you to save a profile of your settings in the 'site survey'? Of course I don't have WinXP on my laptop so maybe this does not work in that OS.

Reply to
One out of many daves

"Chips" wrote in news:NyqNd.1525$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr24.news.prodigy.net:

It may or may not be what you're looking for.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Thanks for the info, and this does appear to work on my desktop, but my laptop is Win2K Pro. So this doesn't work for it.

GC

Reply to
Chips

"Chips" wrote in news:liJNd.2695$ZZ.458 @newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

You may be able to find a 3rd party tool that will do it on Win 2K. I think I heard at one time about some tool that will do it.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.