Can I Remove This...

I installed my Linksys router WRT54GS on my pc..........to be honest it seemed to install fine, but I had problems trying to set up the security.... So i restarted it all...........I give the network a new name MYPEECEE and set up the security fine........

Now...everything seems fine on main PC but when the laptops are in use, they detect both networks ...i.e. the first one called LINKSYS which is marked Unsecure.........and also the correct one called MYPEECEE and i had to input the code for them to work. Can anyone tell me how to remove the first Linksys one, or at least put a bit of security on it...

Is it doing any damage being there, except at the moment being totally free and accessible to all around- A bit on the dangerous side.

I tried logging into the Linksys one and it did it fine......then i logged back to secured one.......im desperate to secure things up properly here.

Thanks Dave

Reply to
DB
Loading thread data ...

Are you *sure* that the router that's identifying itself as "linksys" is yours?

Someone else could have a router in the area that's never been configured beyond the factory defaults. Now that you've changed your unit's SSID, you may be able to see the other network.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

What do you mean "detect both"? You have only one router, no?

Anyways, you said you installed the router on the PC, i assume that you wired your PC (with the supplied CAT5 cable) to the router's Ethernet port. Your laptops have wireless cards and connects to the router on the router's wireless side, is that right?

Note that only the laptops can detect wireless sources, your own and your neighbours and anyone elses within range. Your PC cannot see anything wireless.

Now if you're on Windows XP then know that XP's Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) identifies wireless sources by Wireless Network Name (ESSID) only and ignores the devices MAC address (BSSID). Your laptops can see a hundred linksyses and none of them are identical

Now that you gave your router a unique name, that linksys is NOT yours. If you can connect to that one, assuming it has default factory settings, then you can reset it, change its name, set a password, load a bad firmware to it and turn it to a brick and remove it for good from your wireless neighbourhood list. But i won't tell you how, or advise you to do things as such, cause that would be illegal...

To answer your question, in short, NO, you CANNOT remove that... :-)

Reply to
bi241

Thanks for the help......just seems odd that the other name available is the one I had days ago and that no-one else around here has PC....(unless someone has sneaked one by me)..

I think i'll get laptop on,,,try and set security on other one......

Cheers

Dave :)

Still sort of confused by the whole thing but as mine is secured properly I dont think i should worry about this "co-incidence"

Reply to
DB

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.