Can Bluetooth Wireless Ethernet and DSL all co-exist and work together?

I have a WiFi system (WAP/Router via Ethernet, always on computer, DSL, 2 Tera of storage) and am wondering if I can plug one of those bluetooth dongles into a USB port, bridge (?) that to the net, and let people with PDA's with bluetooth access the system too.. Any body do them both at the same time? The people I have talked to have only done one or the other, I'd like to do em both, or is there a better way (coworker has a pda with built in bluetooth, would like to access the DSL/storage/printer etc)...

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

"Peter Pan" hath wroth:

No manufacturers, no model numbers, you get no specifics.

Bluetooth 1.2 and 2.0 will avoid a wi-fi signal with AFH (adaptive ferquency hopping) and will coexist with wi-fi quite nicely. I use it all the time. Skype using Bluetooth headset with my Wi-Fi router about 3ft away. No problems.

Bluetooth 1.1 screws up badly and was really bad withing about 3-5 ft. Farther away was less of a problem but the effects were still noticed almost anywhere in the room. I would hear clicks and pops on the Bluetooth headset, and the wireless would slow down and downloads.

One of my friends has some model Dell Axim PDA with both Bluetooth and

802.11b. It can sorta run both at the same time, but it really burns the battery badly. I tried to build a bridge of sorts between the Bluetooth and 802.11b sides through the PDA and killed the battery in about 15 mins. It also was running slower than I would expect. It worked but I don't think it's practical with limited battery life.

However, I've done the Bluetooth to 802.11g bridge on my laptop without any difficulty. Windoze XP has the "Network Bridge" feature in the Network control panel which does this.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the generic reply, sorry for no specifics.

I was just brainstorming an idea, and your reply says it should be possible (my coworker has an iPAQ, and the WiFi part took a dump, but the bluetooth part still works, so the idea was is it feasible to put a bluetooth USB adapter on the WiFi server, bridge the two networks, and let him still use the iPAQ to access the network, without a huge repair bill). The one I am looking at is the Kensington USB Bluetooth 2.0 adapter ($40, repair estimate on the iPAQ was $280!)

Marc (aka Peter Pan)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.