Can a Verizon Samsung Galaxy SIII be used in Germany on a local pre-paid plan?

My cousin is spending a year abroad in Germany and has a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 (which he says has a SIM card in it).

Can you phone tech guys explain why it has a SIM card? And, if it's GSM, can it be used in Germany (with a local pre-paid plan)? Will the WiFi work in Germany (do they use the same frequencies?)

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Reply to
Danny D
Loading thread data ...

Anyone?

Reply to
Danny D.

Nobody?

Reply to
Danny D.

Ok I'll bite.

The WiFi should work OK. The GSM SIM may work if it has been unlocked by the carrier. From memory the "world fones" on Verizon only work with a Verizon sourced SIM card. You may want to find this out first. You may be able to get an unlock code for the fone or find some friendly person who will do it for you.

Reply to
Mutlley

Thanks Mutlley for confirming that. I don't know if, in Germany, they use the same 2.4GHz/5GHz frequencies used in the USA.

I agree with the unlocking and understand that. What I was wondering about is the frequency in Germany versus the frequencies on the phone.

Oh oh. That would be a problem to solve before heading over.

Reply to
Danny D.

Hi John, That's the kind of information I was looking for.

2G is fine as all that is needed is voice.

It's good to know Germany uses the same 2.4/5GHz WiFi frequencies.

All that is needed then, is to have Verizon unlock the phone?

Reply to
Danny D.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.