Can a router support more than one security mode?

I have a LinkSys WRT300N router. I currently use Mac Filtering and WEP as my security measure.

I recently got a new laptop that has Intel 4965AGN wireless card. In order to get Wireless-N on this card it must use WPA-APS or higher.

Eventhough my router would support WPA, I have 2 TiVos that only support WEP.

Other than buying new adapters for my TiVos (not the most economic investiment), is there a way to configure my router to use WEP for the two TiVos and WPA for the PCs?

Reply to
Liz
Loading thread data ...

Any of the routers that support more than one SSID will do the trick. I use Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 or Linksys WRT54G with Linksys DD-WRT v24 firmware, which supports up to 16 (???) SSID's, each with their own independent encryption methods.

Note that pages 2-3 are for reconfiguring the VLAN's so that computers that are on different SSID's cannot see each other. If you don't care about this isolation feature, then none of the iptables tweaking is required.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Please note that for the last year aleast TIVO no longer requires WEP. I've been using WPA for that amount of time.

Reply to
Pen

Thank you very much. I upgraded my firmware to DD-WRT and it works like magic. I now have 2 SSID on my router, one running WPA2 and one running WEP.

Only problem: I used to be able to get about 270Mbps for my Wireless- N. But Now I can't seem to get more than 103Mbps.

Did you have this problem? Can you shed some light on why this happens?

Thanks!

Reply to
Liz

Hi! Thanks for the info. Yes, I'm aware that TiVo now supports WPA. However, in order to use WPA I have to use their USB wireless card. I currently have DLink's DWL-122 for both TiVos and they have worked fine. I didn't want to spend $60 each to upgrade the USB controller.

Thanks!

Reply to
Liz

Oh crap.

What hardware version do you have? 1.0, 1.1, or 2.0? "(As of July, 2007) WRT300N version 1.1 or 2 is NOT supported."

Is this the version you downloaded?

Note that it's the "mini" version, which lacks some features.

It appears (i.e. my guess) that DD-WRT does not support modes faster than Afterburner (about 108Mbits/sec). I ran into the same problem with the WRT600N. It wouldn't work on the 5.7GHz 802.11a channels and wouldn't do MIMO speeds.

You might ask the same question in the DD-WRT Forums (under Broadcom):

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi! Thank you again.

I have version 1.0. I upgraded to mini. I originally also upgraded from mini to std. However, I found std rather unstable. My router would reboot for no reason and saving and apply settings often hang the web UI. The only feature in std that I am interested in that mini does not have was Mac Filtering. However, I also found Mac Filtering did not work for the viturals. So I figured I'd stay with mini.

OK, I will go check the DD-WRT forums.

Thanks aga> >

Reply to
Liz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.