Campground WiFi stinks, but there is a solution

More campgrounds are installing WiFi services all the time. Some offer it as a free incentive to visit while others charge a separate fee (just like cable tv). In my experience, very few camprgounds install the right kind of equipment needed to provide adequate coverage to the entire site. Even those that do make the investment in site evaluation and placement of multiple access points with advanced antennae don't (or can't) deliver decent speed to every location.

I'm staying at Bear Creek park in Asheville, NC this week. Bear Creek is one of those parks that has put the effort into installing top notch equipment (Cisco outdoor access points). My spot is about 150 feet from the nearest antenna, and I'm able to get what my laptop reports as a 'poor' connection at about 1MB/sec.

But when I plug in my hField Wi-Fire and point it in the right direction I suddenly get a 'excellent' connection. The Wi-Fire has its own connection analysis tool that helps aim the directional antenna to the best angle. It shows that this campground has 3 access points within range (not to mention 2 other WiFi routers that must be inside some other RVs close by).

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Makay5
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.