Cable Wireless? 54Mbps or 108Mbps?

Dear Experts,

My two computers use Cable for internet connection via a switch. Current Connection Speed is 100.0Mbps

I am planning to let the third PC in basement use Wireless to share the access with those two systems on the second floor.

My little networking knowledge tells me that I need an Access Point and a Client USB Adapter.

Questions:

1. The salesman recommended me to get both AP and Client in 54Mbps instead of 108Mbps because he found that the internet connection is just 1Mbps why get 108Mbps. Is it true? My PC shows 100Mbps connection speed though. After setting up AP and Client in 54Mbps.. can my three computers still have 100Mbps connection speed?

1. Can my two exisitng computers still connect to the ports in Access Point via their original cables/wires, and just have the third PC go wireless (USB Adapter)? Is this idea workable? [2 pc's with cable connection and 1 pc with wireless connection?]

Thank you very much! Ching

Reply to
cshih16
Loading thread data ...

On 5 Aug 2006 16:13:33 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

That's the switch speed. Your Cable Internet is much slower.

Gonna be hard or impossible to get a wireless signal through two floors.

And highly directional antennas, assuming it will work at all.

You'll only get something less than half of the raw network speed, which won't be anywhere near the maximum no matter what you do.

Probably.

Reply to
John Navas

Sorry we are no experts... But your LAN's speed will always be higher than your i-net connection, so nevermind the choice between LAN or WLAN, it's up to you and your needs of cable free networking.

Ciao @+

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
F8BOE

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com hath wroth:

Yes. If you can get a 108Mbit/sec connection, you will get perhaps

50Mbits/sec TCP thruput. If you are sharing a DSL or cable modem connection, you only need perhaps 1 to 6Mbits/sec thruput. Any more is largely wasted.

Also, wireless speed and range are inversely related. Under ideal circumstances and with the stock antennas, you might be able to maintain a 108Mbit/sec connection at a range of about 6ft. At

54Mbits/sec, you can probably go 20ft. Any farther, and your access point will slow down the connection to compensate for deteriorating signal to noise ratio.

Nope. That's the connection speed. Your thruput is somewhat less depending on from where you're measuring. The speed between your computer and a similar computer over a 100baseTX-FDX connection will yield perhaps 80Mbits/sec. However, your speed downloading from the internet through a 1.5Mbit/sec DSL connection, will be only

1.5Mbits/sec.

Nope. I assume you mean computer to computer communications as in a game network. If your other two computers are connected via a wired

100baseTX-FDX connection, and you get a 54Mbit/sec wireless connection, you'll get about 25Mbits/sec thruput (as limited by the wireless connection).

However, if you have TWO computers connected via wireless (using an access point), and each is connected at 54Mbits/sec, then you'll get only 12.5Mbits/sec maximum thruput. That's because only one transmitter can be on at a time and each of the 3 radios (two clients and an access point) have to wait for the others to shut up.

No problem. It should work as you expect. 802.11 wireless is nothing more than an ethernet extension cord. Anything you can shovel down the ethernet will also go through 802.11 wireless. More specifically,

802.11 wireless packets encapsulate 802.3 ethernet packets. End to end, it's just like ethernet.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 02:18:22 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

It can actually be very nice for computer-to-computer networking; e.g., backing up a computer over the WLAN, transferring large video or image files.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.