Cable Broadband, Can anyone help!!Please

Hi I am in the UK, and have a cable broadband connection. I am trying to connect a router, but I keep getting told a plug is not connected, even though I have everything connected correctly. I am using a Cisco systems wrt54gs, router. my wife's laptop is picking up the signal from the router. But we both cannot connect to the internet. I expect I am doing something stupid. Please can anyone help. Thanks.

Reply to
philip cossey
Loading thread data ...

Hi, I am sure you have cable modem. Turn off modem, router. all your computers. Then connect your modem to router, connect your computers to router. Then turn the power on in this order; modem, router, all your computers one by one. And from one of your computer, do this command. ipconfig /all. What do you see? Good luck, Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You got the cable using RJ45 from the modem connected to the WAN port on the router?

Do you know if the ISP uses MAC authentication to access its network?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

As far as Im aware no UK cable modem broadband provider locks to the MAC any more. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

"philip cossey" wrote in news:vxaFf.257001$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

You may find this article helpful:

formatting link
BTW/FYI: The WRT54GS is usually referred to as a product of Linksys

- a subsidiary of Cisco Systems.

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Mark McIntyre wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Not a clue, as usual.

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

I don't live in the UK so how would I know you jackass. I live in the US and the BB ISP that I use Insightbb does MAC authentication.

I put a couple of things out there the OP could look at and some jackass

*clown* needs to make a comment.

You can take the jackass *Good Fellow* and stick up your *Good* you know where.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

That's impressive real impressive I do say. You damn *clown* everyone knows Linksys is subsidiary of Cisco. I am surprised you even mention it. The OP is not stupid and should be to figure out 2*2.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Thanks for that information as you're helpful.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Reply to
philip cossey

Duane Arnold wrote in news:WxeFf.10345$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I was replying to Mark McIntyre. Do try to keep up.

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Duane Arnold wrote in news:rCeFf.10346$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Equally impressive that you're now also putting words into Phil's mouth.

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

How many computers? Sounds like more than one... Are you wired or wireless to the router?

Connect thde modem via CAT5 cable to the WAN port on the router. Connect the laptop(s) to the router's LAN ports also using CAT5 cable. Open your internet browser - you should get the internet... This will show your wired side is working. In your browser, go to router's main config page at

192.168.1.1 Log on with no username, and 'admin' as the password. On the wirless tab, make sure that you have NOT configured the router to filter connecting machines by MAC and/or IP address and that you have NOT added any encryption. [While you're there, change the password from 'admin' to something else.]

What have you set the SSID to? Have you enabled SSID broadcast (do so...)?

Disconnecting the CAT5 cable from the laptop(s), can your wireless card pick up the SSID of your router and connect to it? If so, can you connect to the internet? If so, go back to your wired configuration and enable encryption (using WPA-PSK if you can).

HTH

Reply to
__spc__

Yeah, I saw all of your posts to the poster over the last couple of days as I did a review as to who or what you are about.

You're trolling the poster.

Duane :(

Reply to
Duane Arnold

No, I talking directly to you and you have come to my attention is what this is about after reading some of your posts the last couple of days.

Duane :(

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Duane Arnold wrote in news:r%pFf.1684$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Duane, Please be honest enough to admit that you cocked up by misreading the thread. [why else would you say "I don't live in the UK so how would I know..."]

And now you are trying to change the subject and resorting to yet more ad hominem 'debate'.

Stop digging.

BTW: Who is "the poster"?

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Yeah, I missed it Hell I am not ashame of my game I am only a Human Being which I have a troll or two on my tail at times. You're still trolling the poster MM as far as I am concerned and you have been doing it for the last couple of days that I seen your posts partner with you talking out the side of your head.

*You*, I have not seen before and MM I have seen all the time. So I assume you're here for one and one purpose only and that's to troll.

Am I digging now? Do you see me digging now?

One other thing, I am not into debating *shit* with anyone. In a situation such as this, I am firing bullets.

Duane

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Duane Arnold wrote in news:w1uFf.1756$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Thanks Duane. It's an easy mistake to make.

Let's try starting anew. I hope you will accept my assurance that:

1) I'm not new here, I've been lurking here for years. I've been *doing* this stuff for many years, but I'm always happy to learn new stuff so if I've got it wrong I want to find that out.

2) I regard out-of-date and inaccurate assertions from posters, particularly those posing as alleged experts, are fair game as far as I'm concerned.

3) Name-calling etc just indicates to me a lack of ammunition on the part of the perpetrator, so don't waste your time.

4) I'm not trolling against an individual. It is pure coincidence that MM has been a source of instances of 2) recently and his responses happen to fit 3) as well - abuse and no tangible information to justify his opinion.

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Hey, we can start fresh I got nothing against that. However, your mama this, your mama that, you this and you that are part of the street game called the Rag game, which I grew-up with and will apply in the Internet streets.

You're lucky I didn't drag your whole family into it. :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Duane Arnold wrote in news:VLvFf.10573$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Great.

Don't understand much of this stuff, but I'll assume its not negative :).

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.