Bye Bye Linksys, now whats the best router to get

hi all

had enough with my linksys wrk54g, the constant re setting is a pain, so im looking for a better router,

any suggestions pls

E
Reply to
EZEKIEL
Loading thread data ...

My office WRT54G v3.0 seems quite stable. Current uptime is 18 days: |

formatting link
upper right after "Time:")

Now, if you want the best, and don't care about the cost, I just checked the uptime on a customers Sonicwall TZ170 SP wireless: |

formatting link
shows 38 days.

Another system uses a Cisco AIR-AP1231 access point that was showing about 40 days before I rebooted it last week. |

formatting link
I'm not sure what's causing your "constant resetting" but a common problem is file sharing (Bitorrent) software. The program opens a huge number of simulaneous streams which might cause the router buffers and tables to overflow (or get scrambled). If you're running such file sharing software, set the software to limit the number of streams and connections. See the FAQ at: |
formatting link
suggestions.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I am happy with my buffalo Turbo.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Alston

Agreed, I ripped out all my d-link stuff and replaced 'em with Buffalo, been solid ever since.

formatting link

Reply to
hennessy

Jeff Liebermann wrote: See upper right after "Time:")

DD-WRT-22 has 112 days of uptime, but with very little traffic through it. I use it as a WAP downstream of my ISP's supplied D-Link

mike

Reply to
mike vore

There is a huge difference between the current WRT54G V.5 and your WRT54g V3. The V.5 is a much cheaper routher with less memory and a totally different operating system. If someone is looking for a router that is roughly equivalant to the V.3, they need to purchase the WRT54GL. The L stands for Linux which was the operating system on all WRT54Gs until they came out with the V5. Problems with the V5 are well documented.

formatting link

formatting link
for suggestions.

Reply to
The Ghost of Thomas Jefferson

Yep, sorta. The WRT54G v4 and the WRT54GL are identical hardware as the FCC ID numbers are the same.

The V5 routers *CAN* run alternative firmware. See: |

formatting link
See: |
formatting link
various models and associated firmware.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You are correct that you can run the mini version of dd-wrt on the v5, but the firmware change on the V5 requires a jtag cable. The operating charactersistics of the verssion 5 are much different. I own both. The V5 is much more prone to lockups, runs much hotter. Trying to flash the V5 with dd-wrt is a challenge, with many users bricking their router in the attempt.

Reply to
The Ghost of Thomas Jefferson

The Ghost of Thomas Jefferson hath wroth:

The WRT54G v5 router requires the -MICRO- version of DD-WRT, not the mini version.

Parallel port: |

formatting link
port: |
formatting link
|
formatting link
built an adapter from a Polaris RIB (Motorola radio programming adapter) to JTAG. I also have adapter cables for other products. I also built one around a Maxim DS275 converter chip. It's just a serial to TTL converter. JTAG adapters are also for sale on eBay.

You're being generous. I think the V5 is an piece of junk. |

formatting link
pages). Most of the one's I've dealt with were exchanged for something else.

Yep. I haven't attempted it myself, but I know of two local hackers that have done it successfully. It's probably more than the average home user is will (or should) attempt. But, it is possible to do successfully.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

What's the consensus on an Actiontec Model GT704.WG Wireless DSL Gateway? I finally gave up on my Linksys WAG54G and trashed it. I bought an Actiontec at CompUSA yesterday and set it up. It was very easy to se up on my administrator desktop computer, but I am having some difficulty getting the laptop and kitchen desktop computers to function through the Wi-Fi. They both acknowledge the Wi-Fi, and seem to have a firm, high speed connection, but neither of them can "find the internet." I must have hidden the darned thing while going through the setup for the Gateway, but I can't figure out what setting(s) I have wrong.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 21:06:36 GMT, Jeff Liebermann wrote: : On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 06:12:53 -0400, The Ghost of Thomas Jefferson : wrote: : : >There is a huge difference between the current WRT54G V.5 and your : >WRT54g V3. The V.5 is a much cheaper routher with less memory and a : >totally different operating system. If someone is looking for a router : >that is roughly equivalant to the V.3, they need to purchase the : >WRT54GL. The L stands for Linux which was the operating system on all : >WRT54Gs until they came out with the V5. Problems with the V5 are well : >documented. : : Yep, sorta. The WRT54G v4 and the WRT54GL are identical hardware as : the FCC ID numbers are the same.

If you upgrade a WRT54G v2 to the latest firmware available on the Linksys site, it subsequently identifies itself as a WRT54GL.

Reply to
Robert Coe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.