Building to Building (interoffice) access

I'm trying to reduce the number on internet connection we have in two buildings we use that are located next to each other.

The first location, the building with our office, has a Linksys BEFSR11 router connected to the internet via DSL and to a small 8-port switch (both in the wiring closet in the basement. One of the wired connections to the 8-port switch is remotely connected to a 5-port switch. This switch shares the connection between one computer and a Linksys WAP54G for access to other computers in the first building that are not able to be hardwired.

The second building is next door (< 50 feet away) and contains a couple of offices, a small warehouse and our shipping facilities. At the far end of the far end of the front end of the building is another Linksys BEFSR41 router with an integrated 4-port switch.

We want to eliminate the internet connection in the second building.

There is a clear shot between the computers in the second building and the BEFSR41. There is no clear shot between the existing computers in the second building and the WAP54G, but a minimally obstructed shot of <

75 feet between the BEFSR41 and the WAP54G, all above ground.

It may be possible to install a directional antenna either inside or outside on the second building, but not the first. Roof access is out of the question on both buildings.

We need encryption and access controls (like we're using in the WAP54G).

I have no idea where to start or what specific equipment may be necessary. I've scanned some of the manufacturer's documentation but its not clear exactly how to set this up or what hardware is required. Cost is a consideration, but interoffice connectivity is more important.

I'm probably making this a lot more complicated than it is in reality.

(I have scanned this newgroup archives and not found EXACTLY what I'm looking for.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Merrill

Reply to
Merrill P. L. Worthington
Loading thread data ...

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 13:43:27 -0500, "Merrill P. L. Worthington" wrote in :

The best way to do this is to put a wireless client bridge in the second building that connects wirelessly to the first building and by wire to a wireless access point (or router configured as an access point, not regular router) in the second building.

Use a different non-overlapping channel (1, 6, 11) in each building to minimize interference.

Use directional/high-gain antennas as needed between the two buildings.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks, John. I appreciate the direction.

The computers in the second building are currently wired to the router. Can I use a wired switch connected to the wireless client bridge rather than a wireless access point connected to the client bridge?

TIA,

Merrill

Reply to
Merrill P. L. Worthington

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 14:11:08 -0500, "Merrill P. L. Worthington" wrote in :

Yes -- just a wireless client bridge.

Reply to
John Navas

Before you actually connect your b-b wireless up to both networks have a plan for your DHCP servers otherwise you'll have a mess.

Access points vary in power and sensitivity. PC Mag has done comparisons and you might find something here.

formatting link
I know that Cisco APs are more powerful than most consumer gear and I'd go for a pair of them if I had to buy something right now,

You want the cable betweeen your AP and it's antenna to be as short as possible. A couple feet, tops unless you are using rigid COAX that is way beyond this appliation.

802.11a gear works at 5Ghz and this makes it immune from most interference but more important, the antennas are *much* more focused and give you a stronger signal.

I suggest you grab any two WiFi boxes you can find and, with a couple laptops, experiment without connecting to your live networks, get a baseline for field strength and you'll know how close you are.

I use "netstumbler' software on my laptop which tells me what my signal levens are. (google for it.)

WiFi antennas come in a bunch of shapes and sizes. There might be one that works for you.

Reply to
Al Dykes

If the buildings really are next to each other - then it is worth seeing if you can use a fibre link.

Much more reliable than this radio stuff, much higher bandwidth, and it isnt susceptible to RFI.

cisco do a weatherproof unit that may suit - look for their 1300 series AP / bridges.

formatting link
They are designed as APs, or to support LAN to LAN links.

Reply to
stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.