Building design & WiFi problem

Man, I can just imagine the amount of time that can be wasted with a Blackberry connected to Usenet. However, it's almost a worthwhile challenge - it's just not believable that you can't get to Usenet without going through google. After all, it's just another TCP connection...

Reply to
Derek Broughton
Loading thread data ...

Educating ignorant top-posters doesn't work any better

Reply to
Derek Broughton

It's unfortunate, isn't it? As the Internet gets more popular and more software hides its complexity, even novices are able to participate. It's too bad the semi-literate are unable to replicate the top-to-bottom flow of English. They even parody themselves as you've done above (and below)!

Reply to
David Crawford

Ya know, maybe you people should try google for usenet before issueing the fatwah against me. I've run all sorts of news agents, but really like google. On the occasions I need to see some binary, I do resort to NNTP. However, been there, done that, and prefer google.

The BB is full of hooks mostly for security since the feds were/are big users. I can run the BB tethered and thus get wireless internet at really painfully slow speed. [I have GPRS, not EDGE] The data rates can reach dial up speed, but the latency is just the pits, often in tenths of seconds. If I were to do it again, I'd get something with wifi and EDGE in one box, but that doesn't exist in a BB.

Derek Brought>

Reply to
miso

I do it in literally every message. Editing quotes is easy. I just can't stand the waste of perfectly good bytes and blanks. Some day, the world supply of bytes and white space will run out and AllTheWordsWillRunTogether.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Oh, sure. They've been saying that since thebtwasnvnted.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Once again, I'm no novice, but thanks for the insults. The insults tell me the character of the person that is complaining. Based on your character, I assume your comments are of little to no worth.

David Crawford wrote:

Reply to
miso

I haven't insulted you yet , and for what its worth, I agree with David. Its really not hard for people to edit, provided they're not so lazy they probably expect someone else to wipe'n'flush for them too.

By the way the below wasn't an insult. If you think it was, you sure aint been on usenet long!

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

plonk

Reply to
David Crawford

Derek Broughton hath wroth:

Nope. Al Gore invented the internet in 1999. I've been saying that since about 1993 and probably earlier. See item #23 at:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Reply to
miso

snipped-for-privacy@sushi.com hath wroth:

Things to do list:

1. Learn to edit and trim postings.
  2. Learn not to bottom post.
  3. Avoid one line useless replies.
  4. Learn to ignore insults, flame bait, and character assasinations.
  5. Learn diplomacy, tact, consideration for other, etc. Others may not reciprocate but at least you'll be able to claim the moral high ground.
  6. Avoid posting anything that you would not consider worth reading.
  7. Avoid running into things. That can hurt.
  8. Avoid personal attacks. It's perfectly acceptable to shred someones ideas, opinions, and information. It is not acceptable to do the same to the individual.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
[ warning: bottomposting, in wanton disregard of the Cisco corporate standard, follows ]

~ > The better developers in the US have :structured wiring" ~ > upgrades or just toss it in. ~ > ~ > Maybe its me, but I never looked at wifi as a home networking ~ > solution. ~ > ~ ~ WiFi is a widely used solution here in the UK for retrofitting to ~ existing premises. As others have commented, structured wiring or any ~ other networking is virtually unknown in domestic buildings, unless ~ the purchaser pushes for it.

Frazer,

Assuming that your building has "unstructured" wiring - that is, POTS-grade copper pairs that are homerun to some central building wiring closet - and that it's feasible to put a POTS jack (and to deliver AC power to) each AP location, then you can use some kind of DSLAM / VDSL switch in that wiring closet, to deliver wired network service to your APs.

I've worked with a hotel here in the states to use such a scheme to hook up their APs, and it worked well. This was using (unbiased product mention here) Cisco's 2950 LRE switches,

formatting link

Have fun,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Jeff Liebermann hath wroth:

Oops. Learn not to top post. (...)

1. Learn to proof reed and spel cheque (my problem).
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

All good except #2 should be: Learn not to top post.

See Q7 of "Quoting Style in Newsgroup Postings" (published by the news.newusers.questions Moderation Board), worth reading in its entirety.

Reply to
John Navas
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Use a newsreader with integrated spell checker (e.g., Forte Agent), and turn on the option to automatically check before sending. :)

Reply to
John Navas

From my header: X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 3.1/32.783 Oops. I'm behind a version at home. I currently spell check on demand. I frequently get interrupted and don't have the time (lame excuse) before having to hit "send" and move on to the latest crisis. I'll givit a tri.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I know -- that was for lurkers. FWIW, I've never liked the 3.x series -- too slow and fat as compared to the original 1.x series, and a nasty file handling bug that's never been fixed AFAIK -- which is why I'm personally still using

1.93/32.576

Another option is Mozilla Thunderbird, which can spell check as you type. Unfortunately, its dictionary isn't as good as Forte Agent, so it takes a bit of training.

Reply to
John Navas

As can knode, which John has repeatedly dissed.

knode's dictionary is extremely flexible. If I'm prepared to choose either American or English, it's very accurate. Since I'm Canadian, it continues to be on the fence...

Reply to
Derek Broughton

It seems fast enough for me. However, I do vaguely recall earlier versions were faster. Not much of a problem for me. What bugs me is that I have to insert a quote symbol in front of long URLs or Forte adds a blank line above the URL. I've bug reported this and complained, but nothing happens. However, this is literally the only bug that gives me trouble. Everything else in Forte Agent is just fine.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.