building a wireless bridge

Here's the situation: I have DSL and use a Versalink WireSpeed 327w as my modem and my router. I only have one jack in my apt., and my office is on the other side of the place. Instead of running a long wire I'd like to use a different wireless router I have (Belkin Wireless G router F5D7230-4)to somehow connect the two and then have wires in my office. I don't care which is the router per se. Does anyone know how I would go about this? Thanks,

- Josh

Reply to
berman.josh
Loading thread data ...

Have you considered doing something lo-tech, like say, run a phone line to your office, and have both voice and data in there? If like most apartments, and you cant make perm changes, Found stuff at an office store that looked like clear tape (1/2" wide 1/32" thick, self stick and ran it on the baseboards to my spare room). Or my friend went with a medium tech way, a powerline ethernet bridge (under $100 for up to 85 Mbps,

formatting link
they have cheaper ones that are slower and more expensive that are faster, but these are IMO just right ((faster than wireless and not too expensive))... and then in his spare room/office end, he has it hooked to a linksys wrt54g ($48 at walmart), so he has both wired and wireless. Wish I would have known of that option before I messed with the wire.

Unfortunately, from past annoyances, being in an apartment and having no control over what the neighbors can do to screw my wireless up (baby monitors, microwaves, etc), so if you can figger out an alternate way, you may enjoy it more.

Reply to
Peter Pan

You could do a WDS link, a lot of wireless routers will do that. Or get a client capable router that will allow multiple CAT5 connections to get on. Sometimes after-market firmware can do this... if the stock firmware cannot.

Reply to
Alan Spicer

"Alan Spicer" hath wroth:

Most current model wireless client ethernet bridges will handle multiple MAC addresses. That lets you connect more than one computah to the wireless client ethernet bridge. Some have a built in ethernet switch. For example, the Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP has 4 ethernet ports on the back:

There's also a list of wireless client ethernet bridges in the FAQ at:

which include whether they can handle multiple MAC addresses. The only exception is some versions of the DLink DWL-2100AP firmware, which managed to break this feature.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.