Buffalo WYR-G54 and RALINK 54G card - UK

Hi,

just bought two amazingly cheap (yeah, I know) 54g devices.

The Buffalo router is a small tin box with an aerial on the back.

The RALINK PCMCIA Cardbus card looks quite nice and is an impressively thin profile.

Both seem to configure and work, but the link sometimes drops for no apparent reason.

I an using Win2K Pro SP4 and AFAIK there isn't the XP problem with rescans.

The link suddenly just drops, then comes back after one or two rescans.

The loss of link seems to be tied to periods of inactivity but I am not using the 'power save' feature on the PC card.

So - anyone used on (or both) of these?

Any known problems?

I have installed the latest drivers for the card, but not checked for updates for the router yet.

Any help most appreciated.

Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts
Loading thread data ...

Just to add:

I am using WPA-PSK authentication and TKIP encryption and wondered if this might be a source of contention between differernt implementations.

TIA

Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

I have a RT2500 miniPC card which uses the same 3.0.2.0 driver(signal did improve upgrading to this) and it runs without any problems.I use XPSP2 and using WPA PSK-TKIP ,for the moment,to a Linksys Router.

NBT

Reply to
NBT

Thanks for the info. I am now switching both card and router to 802.11b. This weekend I can test against other routers and cards which are native

802.11b and perhaps see if it is the router, the card, or both which are having problems. I will also try running in '802.11g only' mode to see if it is mixed mode working which is causing the problem.

Cheers Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Progress so far:

the problem also shows with card and router in '802.11b only' mode, but not as frequently.

Using my normal home network on an Adaptec 802.11b router seems fine. I have a number of profiles set up on the RALINK card (I hope it is not the card, because the features are quite impressive) and can switch between profiles, and thus routers, very easily. I have been flipping between the two routers and have seen quite a few link failures with the Buffalo router, but have so far not noticed any with the Adaptec router.

From this I have to conclude that either the Buffalo is a dodgy router, I have a faulty router, or there is some kind of firmware incompatability between the RALINK and Buffalo devices.

My initial money is on the Buffalo firmware being the culprit. I think this is a new router - it is still on the first release of firmware - and so most likely to be at fault. Given that, the RALINK card is still pretty new but it does work O.K with my Adaptec router.

All a bit oif a bummer because I wanted an 802.11g setup. What I have is an 802.11b setup which is slightly less flaky than an 802.11g setup.

I haven't tried in 802.11g only mode yet, but am not very hopeful.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.