Buffalo WYR-G54

I just bought a Buffalo WYR-G54 wireless router, but I'm having problems setting it up, I wondered if anyone might be able to help me. I've connected the router exactly as instructed (by the 'Quick Setup Guide'), with a connection from my Cable modem to the router, and from the router to my PC. Once it is connected I cannot access the internet from my PC, which prevents me from completing the "Internet Connection Test" (as well as accessing the internet, obviously). The router is detected by my wireless devices, but similarly they will not connect. Can anyone offer me any advice on what to do? When i check my Network Connections (I'm running Windows XP SP2), my wired connection appears there, and as if it is fully working, but still i cannot connect. I do have my settings to DHCP. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
blork
Loading thread data ...

Did you power-cycle the cable modem after you connected it to the new router?

Reply to
Neill Massello

you mean turn them on in order? Cable modem -> Wireless Router -> PC? Yeah, did that.

Reply to
blork

Was your PC connected directly to the cable modem previously? If so, your cable modem, and possibly the cable provider, have registered the MAC address of your PC.

With some cable providers, like Comcast, the registration is flexible. If you turn off the modem and router for 20 minutes, then turn on the modem, wait until it's ready, and turn on the router, it will all be fine.

With Mediacom, if I connect a new PC to the cable modem, I get a login screen on any browser access inviting me to register the new MAC in place of the old MAC. If I connect a router, I don't get to see that screen.

With either Comcast or Mediacom, the easy solution is to make your router "clone" the MAC address of the PC. This is under "WAN MAC address" on page 17 and 29 of your manual.

You set the MAC address of the router to equal the address that has already been recognized by the cable modem and the cable ISP, and it should all work.

Reply to
dold

With Windows XP, you can discover your own MAC address in a few ways. It would show up in one of the status screens of the router. It can be seen with start-run-cmd- ipconfig /all, as Physical Address. If you right-click on the NIC in the systray or Network Connections window, look at status, support tab, details, physical address.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.