Buffalo WHR-G125

Buffalo has a new device WHR-G125 that is DD-WRT compatible with a better receiver that is cheaper than the WHR-HP-G54

formatting link
Anyone have any experience, pro or con with this yet?

I ask as I'm ready to buy several WHR-HP-G54s

Reply to
NotMe
Loading thread data ...

"NotMe" hath wroth:

The lack of an external antenna really bugs me. I got to play with one for a few minutes, but not long enough to run any measurements. The owner also didn't want me to tear it apart. So, all I can say is that it functioned as expected with the stock firmware.

FCCID FDI-09101584-0. Same FCCID for the WHR-G125 and the WHR-HP-G125, which is rather suprising. However, the WHR-HP-G125 has an external antenna connector. Both have 4MB of flash and 16MB of ram, which is the same as the previous models.

I'm not sure about Buffalo's firmware versions. The clueless nitwit that designed the firmware download site decided to designate the downloads by the product name instead of model number. I guess(tm) is that it's a "Wireless-G MIMO Performance* Ethernet Converter".

Since both the old and new models have the same name, there's no way to tell if the same version firmware is used, or if there's been a change. Maybe asking Buffalo for a decoder chart that related the names contrived by marketing to confuse us, against the model numbers contrived by engineering to undo the confusion. Also note that the FCC ID number is non-sensical and does not contain the product number, which everyone else does. With little imagination, I could contrive a conspiracy theory that suggests that Buffalo marketing is seriously afraid of numbers and accurate product identification. I wonder what would happen if I call support and ask questions without ever revealing the product number.

I would post the exact FCC ID URL, but the FCC ID site seems to be having a bad day (again): Error Executing Database Query. weblogic.common.resourcepool.ResourceDisabledException: Pool OETDataSource is disabled, cannot allocate resources to applications.. The error occurred on line 26. Oh well.

When (and if) it comes back, go unto to:

and punch in "FDI" for the grantee code, and "-09101584-0" for the mudel number. Don't forget the leading dash.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It works with DD-WRT. Non-removable antenna is 2dbi vs 4 of the HP.

Check DD-WRT forum for details.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Buffalo support maintains the antenna is removable.

Reply to
NotMe

Oops. My mistake then. And Jeff said: The lack of an external antenna really bugs me. I can see the external antenna in the photos. I remembered somebody said it was fixed. Or misremembered, it seems.

But yes, DD-WRT says the new WHR-G125 IS supported, I saw that for sure. They are focused on Buffalo over Linksys these days, it seems. They sell them in their shop with DD-WRT already installed.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

seaweedsteve hath wroth:

I was going to reply when the FCC web pile came back. It's still dead. Good to know that government services only work during business hours. The photos on the FCC ID docs should show it one way or other. I could swear it wasn't removeable, but I didn't bother trying to remove or pay much attention to the antenna. In other words, I might be wrong. I might be able to call the customer with the radio and ask.

For good reason. Buffalo hasn't released any products with incompatible chipsets while Linksys has.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff,

I'm going to buy several of the WHR-HP-G54 on Monday or Tuesday as I have a right now need.

I'm willing to purchase a WHR-G125 of whatever flavor you recommend and send it to you to play with if you'd like as I'd like your opinion against future needs.

And yes I'm well aware of smoke-therefore-you-learn. FWIW I've toasted my share long ago I just don't have access to the necessarey equipment anymore.

Reply to
NotMe

"NotMe" hath wroth:

Well, the FCC ID web pile should be back on Monday morning when the FCC comes back to work. Look at the web page to see if the external antenna is removeable. FCCID FDI-09101584-0

Thanks, but I don't have the time. I'm headed for surgery in a month. Meanwhile, I prefer to goof off, loaf, procrastinate, and avoid anything that looks like work until perhaps late August. I also have a full load of projects sitting on the bench that have to be finished first.

The personal mantra and web site is "Learn By Destroying". If you haven't destroyed and repaired it, you don't know how it works. Good luck. I'm fairly sure you'll be fine as I haven't seen any complaints or obvious problems about the WHR-G125, yet.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I just saw this on DD-WRT forum:

"I picked up a couple of the 125 units based on the features table in the wiki.. unfortunately the antenna is not removable but other than that, it seems to be a great performer. "

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Jeff Liebermann hath wroth:

It's Monday morning and the FCC ID search engine is back after the traditional weekend and holiday server crash and database corruption. Our tax dollars inaction.

The photos here sure look like a non-removable antenna to me:

However, there was a "Class II Permissive Change" issued for a new package which does have a removable antenna:

Interestingly, the cover letter does NOT itemize the change of antenna or connector, and ignores the increase in TX power.

Permissive change? I don't think so. I guess the FCC was asleep, didn't look at the photos, or perhaps was experiencing weekend computer problems.

The problem is that both the WHR-G125 and the WHR-HP-G125 both have the same FCC ID FDI-09101584-0. There's also no easy way to distinguish between them in the documents. It's very unusual for two different products to share the same FCC ID number. That's probably why the model number is not imbedded in the FCC ID number, as with all the other manufacturers.

My guess(tm) is that since the WHR-G125 is advertised and photographed with a 2dBi antenna, while the WHR-HP-G125 is advertised with a 4dBi antenna, only the WHR-HP-G125 comes with a detachable antenna. My guess(tm) is that if you buy the WHR-G125, you'll get a permanently affixed antenna.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

According to the test report the only difference's are the Antenna and the colour. The HP version was the one that was tested. Section 2.1 remark 3

Reply to
kev

kev hath wroth:

Well, I'm confused. I'm assuming that the WHR-HP-G125 is a higher tx power version of the WHR-G125. That usually requires seperate type certification. Yet, the report indicates that the tests apply to both. The rated tx power on the FCC test reports is about 20dB tx output. No clue if the WHR-G125 is the same.

Meanwhile, the 125Mbit/sec page on the Buffalo web pile only shows models WHR-G125 and WHR-G54S. No WHR-HP-G125 anywhere in sight. No specifications at all except for the "Tx Power: Adjustable" which is totally useless. So, is the WHR-HP-G125 and WHR-G125 the same product in two different packages?

What is the WHR-G54S 54Mbit/sec device doing on a page full of

125Mbit/sec devices? The real device exists as on:

No tx power output data on any of the evasive marketing-speak that they call a data sheet.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Makes sense, marketing wise. The new chip sounds to be a bit more sensitive, it allows them to cut the extra electronics and just differentiate entry and power user models by antenna package.

They stay friendly with the linux firmware crowd and get 2db antenna performance on Linksys and they've got the HP as the preferred product selling for same price as the 54GL. That's enough. And they make an extra $10 simply by adding the antenna connector. Doing more with less!

But, hey, they may be re-thinking the connector.

If so, I'd go with it the entry one and put my own antenna. Or not.

2dbi is ideal someplaces.
Reply to
seaweedsteve

seaweedsteve hath wroth:

Exactly. However, if that were the case, and the two products are electrically different (i.e. power amplifier, antenna, connector, package, etc), then they require seperate FCC type certification and seperate numbers. Methinks something is fishy here.

Sure. So you order one or the other without a clue which box or antenna you get. No thanks.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Any idea how thorough the Wi-Fi Org checks are? They have given them different certificates but I think you need to be a member to access details. WHR-G125 WFA5043 WHR-HP-G125 WFA5044

Reply to
kev

kev hath wroth:

No, not really. I have a fair idea of what it was like in about 1999, but things have changed substantially since then. I've heard some 3rd hand rumors and unsubstantiated claims, which I'll keep to myself.

Is I recall, the wi-fi.org certification is really random about what constitutes a model number. For example, all the various mutations of the WRT54G are each listed seperately. However, that doesn't seem apply for Netgear WGR614, which only shows certifications for v1 and v6, with nothing in between. I guess(tm) Buffalo got away with certifying two routers for the price of one with the FCC, but not with the wi-fi certification.

I'm not a member, so I can't snoop. The test data and reports are confidential anyway so I couldn't leak them even if were a member.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It is removable. In a way. You need a soldering iron. But the thing is that there is also an on-board ext antenna connector that you can plug into with a pigtail.

I followed these instructions to remove the antenna and add an external antenna connector to WHR-G125. It's pretty easy to do. It took me 45 minutes or less. They also have other top notch tutorials for a newbie like me. Mostly Lynksys stuff though and external antenna DIY projects.

formatting link
Oh, by the way, I'm also running DD-WRT on my Bufallo and it works well. I'm testing the repeater mode.

Reply to
poster_boy

If the antenna connector on the circuit board really is a U-FL connector (it looks like one), then you can buy a commercial pigtail with whatever connector is handy. I bought a pile of U-FL to RP-BNC

8" pigtails from:

Argh. $15/ea. They were on closeout when I bought them for something like $3/ea. There are other vendors that U-FL pigtails:

No need for any soldering with a proper pigtail.

Oh shit. That's awful. They were doing fine until they got to page

1. There's no way that a 1" long exposed center conductor is going to work well at 2.4GHz. I don't see any measurements so I assume that the author didn't measure the power output. 1" of exposed center conductor will radiate quite a bit of RF (that doesn't make it to the coax connector). The basic idea is great, but the implimentation sucks. He should have used a U-FL pigtail and no soldering. Sigh.

See if you can get WPA-PSK encryption to work through the repeater. I couldn't with v23 SP2, but haven't tried it with v23 SP3.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Argh. I meant U-FL to RP-TNC, not BNC. Sorry.

Lots on eBay:

Article on pigtails with lots of sources:

More vendors:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.