BT voyager 220v & Netgear WG602v3

Having the absolute horrors trying to get these two to work together. When first setting up broadband connection for some reason the wireless worked fine and my laptop (which had been set up previously with it) recognised it. Then something went drastically wrong. Modem plugged into microfilter/phoneline etc, ethernet cable into router and then again ethernet router in to laptop so that it is all wired up and so that I can configure it to my laptop again. But the broadband won't connect to the computer unless plugged in directly to laptop (i.e. with wireless router abandoned). Have spoken to BT support who say that this is because the Voyager 220v isn't wireless compatible and therefore I can't connect using the Netgear router. I doubt this considering I have seen it working first hand at beginning of setting up and plus, seeing that someone else on forum has been able to. Any ideas, PLEASE, on what I am doing wrong?!

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Baffled
Loading thread data ...

• I found the following guide on what appears to be their web site. I'm looking at manuals for Voyager and for Netgear models you have mentioned. I'm seeing these two things with only 1 ethernet port on each one. So you could only plug the router either into your laptop or into the Voyager unit. You are saying that you can configure "it" with your laptop. I'll take a guess that you mean you can access the Voyager 220v? If you plug laptop directly into Voyager can you get onto the Internet? If you can do that and you have access to the web page 192.168.1.1 then Voyager seems to be working.

Netgear WG602v3 is a Wireless Access Point. If you configured it properly and your laptop... then you should be able to go to its web page as well. Well that is if you know what it's IP Address is. I recommend setting it to manual LAN IP if that's possible because it tends to want to "receive" DHCP on its Ethernet port if it is available. If you just PLUG it into your laptop it sets its own certain default IP Address. You might have to power-cycle it to get it to do that. You may have to manually set your laptop IP to be able to talk to it. Once you can do that double check your wireless settings with your laptop. You should be able to reach Netgears web page via a wireless connection.

Note: By default,the WG602 is a DHCP client.If there is no DHCP server in the network,the WG602 uses 192.168.0.227 as its IP address.If your network used different addressing,you will need to configure the WG602 accordingly. (Alans Note: It would be a lot nicer if Netgears IP address was on the same subnet as the Voyager unit, that way you don't have to keep changing your laptop IP Address manually.

formatting link
Installing Voyager via Ethernet

There is no install process for connecting the Voyager via the Ethernet connection, you simply just plug in the Ethernet cable from the LAN port on the back of the Voyager to the Network card on the PC.

The CD-ROM supplied with the Voyager, just provides a graphic interface with links to the Voyager User Guides, there is no software required to run the Voyager via Ethernet.

Voyager Ethernet Guide

Follow the guides below to find out if the Voyager is configured and working correctly.

Ensure Voyager is switched on and ethernet cable is connected from the LAN port on the Voyager to the Network card on the PC. If so the LAN light will be solid.

The ADSL line should be connected to the Voyager from to the main telephone line with one of the microfilters provided. The DSL light will be solid if line is activated.

Check the PC is being assigned the correct IP address (192.168.1.x where x will be a unique number) and default gateway. (192.168.1.1) if you unsure of how to check this try some IP Address Troubleshooting

If Internet Options are configured correctly then proceed to open up the Voyager Control Panel (http://192.168.1.1) within Internet Explorer.

• The Voyager should pass DHCP over its Ethernet port to Netgear and to anything wireless. Your gateway should be the Voyager. Check that Voyager DHCP is configured to enabled and passing out IP Address for more than one computer.

(You're going to need to be really good with working on these two units seperately, power cycling them to get default settings, connecting them 1 at a time to your laptop and check their settings. *If* for any reason you changed their settings from defaults YOU should know what IP Addresses you assigned to them, etc.)

Reply to
Alan Spicer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.