Broadcast messages to everyone on wifi network?

i recently set up an open network for people in the area to log on to, but I was wondering if there is a way to broadcast a message to everyone on the network at once? Thanks

Reply to
joseph.kenyon
Loading thread data ...

Since you're too embarassed to mention what operating system you're using, I'll assume Windoze XP Home. However, your header says that you're using Safari on a MacIntosh so that won't work. Mac users invariably announce to the world that they are using the non-conformist computing platform. Perhaps you're running a dual boot system and are just trying to confuse everyone. Dunno.

For Windoze Messenger Service use: Start -> Run -> cmd From the command prompt, run: C:> net send The syntax of this command is: NET SEND {name | * | /DOMAIN[:name] | /USERS} message

To send something to everyone, use: net send * "Hello World"

I dunno nuttin about OS/X but the underlying BSD Unix mutation should have the "talk" and "write" commands.

In all cases, the user has the option to disarm these services or block access to the necessary IP ports, thus making it almost impossible to bug someone in the manner in which you're attempting. Also, if your unspecified router has an "AP isolation" or "client isolation" feature enabled, no client to client traffic can occur.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Arbitrarily connecting users with unknow OS's...

In short, you can't "actively" send such a broadcast to everyone. (Fortunetly.)

Well.. You could, as Jeff said, using net send -- but that would only effect Windows users that have messenger service running. Messenger service doesn't run by default in Windows. (I think its not even installed by default as well.) So, the chance that anyone would even see such a message is low.

I think your best bet would be to "passively" send a message by configuring your captive portal (are you using a CP) in such a manner where you can arbitrarily have all connected users next HTTP request re-directed to a local file. This, of course, assumes that they are using your pipe for web. Ask around in the web forums for CP's (i.e., ZoneCD) and I bet someone would have an answer.

May even be possible to do "actively" using java (?), but there is no guarantee that would work as they may have java disabled, pop-ups blocked, etc. Plus, it is quite annoying. I think just a re-direction would be better because it would ensure everyone would go through it (assuming they are using web) and it is much "gentler".

Good luck!

Reply to
Eric

By default, XP SP2 blocks such messages. (just a FYI)

Reply to
Johann Beretta

~ i recently set up an open network for people in the area to log on to, ~ but I was wondering if there is a way to broadcast a message to ~ everyone on the network at once? Thanks

Yes, here is a wireless device that will permit you to broadcast a message to everyone on your 802.11 wireless network at once:

formatting link
This should work fine for a one or two AP network using normal 2.2dBi antennas, and would support users running any version of Windows XP as well as Mac OS X.

Hth,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Aaron Leonard hath wroth:

Nice. I presume you know that Cisco supports a similar communications system for the 2610 router, but others should work:

This was originally designed for a last resort backup communications system when the wired, fiber, wireless, and virtual networks all go down simultaneously.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Check the link and you'll know. ;)

p.s. Please don't switch posting styles (top vs bottom) in mid-thread

-- it makes the thread confusing and hard to follow. Thanks.

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 03:40:32 +0100, "Forster Tuncurry" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

So whats the antenna gain got to do with it?

Joe.

Reply to
Forster Tuncurry

My god. Where is the ERP laws!

Joe.

Reply to
Forster Tuncurry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.