Broadband speed but incredibly slow wireless

My internet speed is around 10 Mbps. Pages load in less than a second. However, when I use the wireless internet, pages that normally load in a second now load 20 seconds and sometimes up to a minute. The little wireless icon in my taskbar says this:

Wireless Network Conneciton (NETGEAR) Speed: 54.0 Mbps Signal Strength: Excellent Status: Connected

Can someone help me out here? Why is my wireless so slow and why does the icon say it's incredinly fast?

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Richard_B
Loading thread data ...

Just for fun, switch the wap/router to b only (probably b and g at the moment).....Even B at 11 is greater than your 10, so why go thru the extra error checking/network type (b/g) checking?

Reply to
Peter Pan

Richard_B hath wroth:

Any particular Netgear? Is that the router or the client radio? If the router, what are you using for a client radio? Numbers please?

After you describe your configuration, try this simple test. Start -> run -> cmd ping -t ip_address_of_router What you should see is a consistent 1 or 2msec ping time. If you get much larger delays, really erratic large numbers, or time outs, you have a case of packet loss. That can be caused by quite a few things, none of which I can determine without knowing your RF environment. For example, if the city has installed a metropolitan wireless LAN access point outside your window, you're going to have interference problems. See if the any of the following sound familiar:

Also, if your unspecified router is a Netgear, you might want to check the Netgear web site for updated firmware. This has solved packet loss and flaky connection problems for me on various models in the past.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I'll get the router info later, but I did the cmd thing and this is what I got:

Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time

Reply to
Richard_B

That demonstrates that the link between your PC and your router is very healthy -- it makes the "54 Mbps/Excellent" report credible.

Next, if you have two PCs on your LAN (one wired and one wireless) try PINGing WiredPC from WirelessPC and WirelessPC from WiredPC to see how quickly your router routes traffic between the wired segment and the wireless segment.

Then, PING

formatting link
from WiredPC and from WirelessPC. That should give you a clue to the source of the bottleneck.

Reply to
Bob Willard

Richard_B hath wroth:

ipconfig the router IP address is the one on the "default gateway" line. I think you're pinging your own workstation, and not router. It's very rare that the wireless latency is less than 1msec, while this is very common for pinging your own IP. Try again.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 05:42:13 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

I think it depends on the particular wireless router and its load -- I'm pretty sure I've seen pinging of a wireless router with time

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.