Bridging two Workgroups using Wireless Access Points

I currently have two separate workgroup networks in 2 rooms.

Each room has 3 pcs connected to an ethernet switch and they are peer to peer.

Very simple setup.

The rooms are about 80 feet apart.

Id like to merge them into one network using Wireless Access Points.

My belief is that I simply buy 2 APs from the same manufacturer and give them the same SSID.

I plonk one in each room and get the clients in each room to associate with the AP in that room.

The APs are then switched onto bridged mode and they automatically forward traffic from one room/network to the other (all different IPs of course).

Is this correct ?

Reply to
sconcer
Loading thread data ...

This should work _if_ the AP's support bridging.

I've done the equivalent with two Linksys WAP11 v. 2.2's, which specifically support bridging mode.

The setup was in principle as your describe, and was in practice slightly trickier, because of things like (for example) flakey firmware.

The only specific thing I'd add is that someplace you probably have a router which assigns DHCP addresses. I would give the APs fixed IP addresses (on the same subnet, but outside of the range of addresses assigned by your router). This makes it easier to troubleshoot than if you have no idea what IP adddresses the APs have picked up.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Anderson

thanks doug

i wasnt sure if it was possible because id read that most AP/bridges can only act as client APs or brdiges but not both simultanesouly.

i also read there were some very expensive enterprise AP/bridges which could do both simultanesouly.

i will check out this model ASAP.

Reply to
sconcer

i just looked at the linksys page and it shows 2 of these bridged together,

one end of the bridge is acting as a wireless access point and the other is not.

are you sure that both ends of the bridge can acts as wireless access points ?

Reply to
sconcer

I'm sorry - I misread your post. What I thought you _wanted_ to do (and what does work) is put an AP in each room, and connect the PC's in that room to the AP by _wires_, not wirelessly.

(Since the APs usually just have one ethernet port, you'd also need a hub: the three PCs connect by wires to a hub, and the hub connects to the AP).

You're right. Most consumer level APs will not function as both a bridge and an access point at the same time.

My experience with my linksys WAP11s is that in _theory_ I can put one in AP mode, and the other in AP client mode. The one in AP mode will receive connections from anyone who is authorized. The one in AP client mode will wirelessly associate only to the AP it is supposed to be the client of. So that still doesn't do what you want. (and the reason I wrote in _theory_ is that in my experience this mode is very flakey.)

But I'm confused about what you want. If the two APs in your different rooms can detect each other, then why have two APs? Just have _one_ AP, and have all 6 of your PCs connect to that wirelessly.

Reply to
Doug Anderson

"But I'm confused about what you want. If the two APs in your different rooms can detect each other, then why have two APs? Just have _one_ AP, and have all 6 of your PCs connect to that wirelessly. "

Its to do with the physical structure and layout of the building and large antennas/amps which i wont bore you with. The 6 clients cannot all access a single AP in either room but 2 APs can bridge the link and communicate with the use of amps/antennas.

So what i want is two APs forming a wireless bridge and at the same time serving as regular APs to clients on either side of the bridge.

ALL without the use of ANY WIRES.

Reply to
sconcer

OK, the solution you want (probably) is a _repeater_.

I.e., in one room you have an AP, and in the other room you have a "repeater." I think the D-Link 900AP+ or some model like that is a consumer AP with a repeater mode. I don't have any idea how well it works.

Reply to
Doug Anderson

Just to re-iterate: I want no wired ethernet whatsoever,

Room A has 3 wireless PCs and a WAP. so has room B.

I want the WAP in room A to bridge to the WAP in room B.

I want both WAPS to act as APs and Bridges at the same time.

Sorry if this wasnt made clear,

Reply to
sconcer

i suppose i could try the [root mode] [repeater] scenario to begin with .

if it is too slow i could then go for the 4 AP solution as you suggest.

Is there any APs which can be put into all three modes : root, bridging and repeater ?

if so i could buy 2 and test the [root mode] [repeater] first and if its too slow i could buy another 2 and switch them into

[root mode] [bridge][bridge] [root mode]

as you suggest.

Reply to
sconcer

Reply to
Airman QPD

thats the only solution i think, ive read about fabled APs that can act as bridges and client access points at the same time but no one on this group has ever actually used one.

so i think its safe to assume they are no more than legendary creatures.

Reply to
sconcer

I have 2 Linksys WAP54G in Bridge mode. They will only talk to eachother in Bridge mode.

I tried them in repeater mode and the results were awful but there may have been other reasons for that.

With the Linksys's in bridge mode I needed any standard AP at either end and a short ethernet cable ( my AP sits on top of the Bridge)

PC's (( )) AP = Linksys Bridge (( )) Linksys Bridge = AP (( )) PC's

(( )) is wireless = is wired

Not what you said you wanted but it works for me.

Reply to
AnthonyL

The devices you speak of.,.simultaneous AP and Bridge are usually

2 radios housed in the same box. Zyxel G-3000 I believe is dual radio for around $240 or so/

aIrhead

Reply to
Airhead

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.