Bridging PLUS Wireless Client Connections

I thought I almost had the solution to my wireless network configuration when I read the Reference Manual for the Netgear WG302 ...but no ...upon careful reading it appeared that I didn't.

What I have: A Cable Modem in my basement connected to a simple Netgear router that has 8 Ethernet ports on it. I also have some computer systems attached to the ports on the router. Upstairs, I have an Ethernet switch to which I have several systems attached. I have a LAN cable that goes from my router in my basement to my upstairs switch. The cable is strung up the stairs and is draped across the floor (very ugly).

What I want: Two wireless units (I don't know which two yet), one to be placed in my basement and one to be placed beside my switch and computer equipment upstairs. I want to create a wireless bridge, connecting my LAN downstairs to my LAN upstairs. BUT, IN ADDITION, I want to be able to establish wireless client connections to either the wireless unit in the basement or the wireless unit upstairs, or both.

Can anyone suggest an Access Point or Bridge that will do what I want. Essentially, I want a "AccessPoint/Bridge" that can bridge LANs and can also simultaneously behave like an Access Point.

Thank you,

Neil Salem, MA USA

Reply to
Neil - Salem, MA USA
Loading thread data ...

Neil,

ZyXEL G-3000H Qty.(2) $170/each can do the job for you, I am sure of that, I have used them in many cases. They will work as wireless LAN to LAN bridge as well wireless Access Points simultaneously.

Make sure to install both units in an open area closer to each other to get strong signal, always avoid closed rooms.

Naim

formatting link

Neil - Salem, MA USA wrote:

Reply to
Panda

Thank you!

Reply to
Neil - Salem, MA USA

"Neil - Salem, MA USA" hath wroth:

That's the exact description of a WDS (wireless distribution service) bridge. It can simultaneously act as an access point for client connections, and a bridge for a backhaul to the main router. See: |

formatting link
pages) for how it's setup and how it works.

You will need to buy two identical units that support WDS or do some experimentation with compatibility between different manufacturers implimentations of WDS. I can't tell if you current own or are planning on purchasing a Netgear WG-302, but it should work as it supports WDS. I kinda like WRT54G/GS with DD-WRT v23 replacement firmware which supports WDS.

The WG-302 is an access point: |

formatting link
will therefore plug into your existing system using your existing unspecified router. However, if you elect to use a wireless router for this application, you can replace your existing unspecified router with the the new wireless router, and configure the 2nd wireless router as an access point. Whatever works.

Of course, you will need to verify that you can get a decent wireless signal between the two WDS bridge boxes between floors to the basement. That's not a simple as it sounds as you may need to make some compromises in antenna location between coverage across a floor, versus coverage between floors. Reading between the lines, you might be trying to go between multiple floors which might be difficult.

If you can't get a signal between floors, then you can use existing power line networking, CATV coax, or phone line networking as a backhaul instead of WDS. For example: |

formatting link
|
formatting link
|
formatting link
|
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link
and will therefore plug into your existing system using your existing

formatting link
|
formatting link
|
formatting link
|
formatting link
etc...

Thank you for giving me such wonderful feedback. After I read your reply, I went back to the Netgear WG302 and discovered that there have been two different versions of the unit. The Reference Manual for version 2 clearly allows for Client Associations while in bridging mode.

Reply to
Neil - Salem, MA USA

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.