both wired and wireless routers in series

I have a WAN in a 4 story, house but the wifi signal only reaches one half (the rear end) of the house. The current setup is: telephone plug with ADSL signal on the 3rd floor rear -> cable modem -> SMC wireless router. Since the signal seems unreliable the two uppper (3rd and 4th floor) PCs are hardwired to the router via ethernet. a laptop on the 1st and 2nd floor connects via wifi. The problem is the range is limited and the performance shakey.

can I modify the setup to insert a cheap wired-only router between the modem and the wifi router? If so I would get better wifi signal acrosss floors 2 and 1.

so I would wind up with: telephone plug -> wired-only router (to which the 2 box PCs would connect via ethernet) -> long extension ethernet from 3rd floor to second floor where a wifi router would serve floors

2 and 1?

otherwise how can I do this? give wired service to the upper floor PCs and have a wireless access point lower down.

many thanks

Peter Stock

Reply to
peter
Loading thread data ...

You can do this, just have the wired router handle the DHCP and turn off the DHCP server in the wireless router. The wireless router essentially becomes a switch with an AP. Plug the wired router into a lan port on the wireless router. There are other ways to do it but if you want the same subnet, this will work

Reply to
Airhead

What is the difference between connecting the two routers via the LAN

and WAN ports?

I currently have a Dynamode 4 port ADSL modem router, I want to

purchase a wireless 4 port router and connect it to the ADSL router as

I've found these to be better value than basic APs.

Am I right in thinking that if I connect the ADSL modem router to the

WAN (RJ45) port of the wireless router, then I will have to give them

different IP ranges, whereas if I connect them via a LAN port, then

they will remain in the same IP range (obviously with the wireless

router DHCP server turned off or to client).

Cheers Chris

Reply to
-=[Subzero]=-

Do you mean range or sub-net group??

Range is the same subnet, but you set them up so they don't issue the same ip address ie: 172.168.1.1 to 172.168.1.100 and 172.168.1.101 to

Subnet would be 172.168.1.1 to 172.168.1.100 and 172.168.2.1 to

172.168.2.100 These groups could not talk to each other with out a router between them...

Reply to
gene martinez

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.