Boosting the Signal on a WRT54G

After reading some of Jeff's posts back to 2004, I decided to try the link he posted for

formatting link
I cut out the template and glued tin foil to the back side. I then glued a laser transparency to the backside of that. I took care to do it very accurately.

My house is three stories. I have a rental suite in the basement (which is partially underground). My renter, Ed, is at the farthest point from my wireless router. I'm top north corner and he is bottom south corner. After placing the "Windsurfer" antenna on each of my linksys poles, my signal went from two bars on my laptop on the second floor to 5 bars. Ed phoned me around 7 tonight and asked if I'd done anything to the internet. I told him about it. He says he has doubled his signal strength and is getting speeds of about 8 - 9 MB/ second. He says there is no fluctuation in signal as he would normally experience.

This is the best 50 cent solution I've every had!

Thanks to all who talked about it.

Nick

Reply to
Nick - Surrey, BC
Loading thread data ...

That reflector design by Michael Erskine really works well.

I made up a free-standing variation for a PCI card antenna using the EZ-10 template.

formatting link
I can easily detect usable signals from neighbouring houses as far as

150 meters away - without putting the antenna anywhere near a window in my double brick wall house.

I'm not surprised at the results you achieved.

I take it you had the antennas orientated downwards towards the lower floors?

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me here

That is the strange part. I first oriented them downward but it had little or no effect. I ran back upstairs and oriented them straight ... ie... as I sit at my desk i can look straight at them and read "Windsurfer" left to right. With this config, the signal downstairs increased dramatically.

I don't understand that part.

N.

Reply to
Rangefire Wireless

Seems a bit strange, unless the signal is reflecting off something else.

If you can put a similar reflector on the basement PC, Ed should see an even bigger improvement in signal.

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me here

It might be that you are pointing down a stairwell instead of through a floor, or something like that. Maybe out a window, although you would probably have to be bouncing off of a neighboring building for that to work out well.

I have run Netstumbler or a client signal strength tool on the client PC and run VNC or Remote Desktop back to a PC near the WAP, and then adjusted antenna positioning to see best signal.

formatting link

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.