"Boosting" the ability to receive a wireless signal??

Hello,

I'm asking this question for my father-in-law. 6 mths out of the year, he travels in his motorhome. Many of the campgrounds are now offering "free" wireless connections with their campground fees. Basically, they are putting their router in the window of the campground office and allowing folks to connect to it. In a few of the campgrounds, my FIL has experienced too low of a signal to connect to (he's too far away from the office). He is wanting to know if there is something that HE can put on/in his laptop or motorhome to boost the receiving of this signal? We understand the technology of boosting the signal from the router location, but that's not an option.

Thanks for any help.

~Daughter-in-law to a camping papa

Reply to
labbymommy
Loading thread data ...

On 15 Aug 2006 21:07:32 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

If his wireless adapter has an antenna connector, he can use an external high-gain antenna, which can make a considerable difference. Otherwise he needs a new wireless adapter. In that case I recommend the Hawking USB wireless adapter with integrated high-gain antenna as the simplest solution.

Reply to
John Navas

Quite a few people use wireless on their laptops in the motorhomes, and many have the USB wireless devices that have a 6 ft cord on them (you can be sitting in your chair using the laptop, and have the USB device in a window pointing at the office)... If you have built in wireless, there is absoluteloy no reason you can't ALSO have another wireless device, and use that when needed (like use the built in one when out and about, and the external USB one when in the RV and can't get a signal on the internal one)...

Specifically: Hawking Technologies Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Dish Adapter ( HWU8DD )

available at amazon for about $60 (and can be ordered online)

Reply to
Peter Pan

There seems to be two models of this product. The newer one has a satellite dish looking type antenna which is rated by users as "fragile". There is a previous (discontinued) model which I have found for sale at some online retailers which is rated by some users as superior to the new one.

Which one of these are you recommending?

-- Carlos

Reply to
CarlosAntenna

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 14:39:17 GMT, "CarlosAntenna" wrote in :

Re; Hawking USB wireless adapter with high-gain antenna.

Either.

p.s. Please don't switch posting styles (top vs bottom) in mid-thread

-- it's confusing. Thanks.

Reply to
John Navas

I have both. While the older HWU54D has a 6 db antenna and the newer HWU8DD has an 8 db antenna, I can detect no difference in the strength of the signal when I use them side by side.

That said, I prefer the HWU54D because in very marginal conditions the antenna is not as directional as the one of the HWU8DD. The latter can be difficult to "aim" at a very weak signal.

Reply to
Dave Rudisill

Thanks Dave.

It's always best to hear from the man who owns one.

-- Carlos

Reply to
CarlosAntenna

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.