Boosting incoming signal

Big assumption. I don't know where you live, but I'd be willing to bet it's a neighbor that didn't know how to secure their network, not exactly the same thing.

Not likely to help enough. A directional antenna would probably help if there's some way of connecting one to your laptop. But with built in wireless, I guess that won't fly. Ed Williams has a product that he sells on eBay that might be of interest to you, I think he calls it the Signal Seeker. It wouldn't hurt to ask whoever owns the router how they feel about you tapping into their network.

Reply to
Rôgêr
Loading thread data ...

My company just issued me a laptop with built in wifi. When I took it

home and booted up, I received notification of a wireless signal and if

I wanted to connect.

I did and got a very weak signal, around 6 to 10%.

I am assuming this is a public hotspot because the ssid is brodcasted

and no encryption is used.

The SSID is linksys(common sense says it is a linksys router, right?)

and was wondering if I purchased a linksys repeater, would this work in

increasing my signal strength?

Reply to
davper

davper wrote in news:davper.1m4gca@WiFi-Forum_dot_com:

First off, I wouldn't assume that it is a public hotspot. I would estimate that 75% of the average home wireless network users don't set up any kind of security.

Second, assuming that you have no ethical problems with "stealing" his bandwith, or you get permission, I suspect that the signal is too weak for the off-the-shelf Linsys repeater to work. However, if you can return it, which you can at most places, I would get one and try it out. Couldn't hurt!

The Chairman

Reply to
The Chairman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.