Bomb proof walls. Not a joke!

Having (with a great deal of help), worked out what my configuration should be, I now could use some advice from anyone who has experience (or knowledge) of this situation.

In Israel, which is where I find myself, all buildings, (and the one I'm living in is included in this) are required to have a "safe room".

This room must be gas proof, and withstand something just short of a nuclear explosion. I can vouch for its construction, because putting up shelves in it nearly killed me! I went through more drill bits in a day, than I have done in my previous life, and I'm no youngster!

But, undeterred, my computer is nearly set up in here. All that's missing is an internet connection, via my hosts cable modem.

So, I go out shopping to buy a suitable wireless router, only to discover that I'm being warned off doing this, as the walls in these safe rooms are not only bomb proof, but apparently resistant to wireless networks as well.

Wires are even more out of the question. The room is truly sealed. You can't even run a flat cable under the door. Rubber seals all round.

Does anyone have any experience of this situation? Even in another country? Was I being warned off unnecessarily? Can wireless networks get through this kind of construction? Is a booster or other form of amplifier necessary, or useless? Or is the whole issue superfluous, and its not really a problem at all.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Howard

Reply to
Howard G
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Howard G) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j73g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I'm just guessing that this room has electrical power; how does that get in there?

Reply to
Bert Hyman

The room does have electrical power (just as well really, as my computer is hooked up to it!) but the only sockets I can find are buried in the walls. These rooms are part of the original design of the building. I don't want to think about what will happen when the place needs a re-wire!

Put simply, there are no conduits, or ducts. Also, drilling through the wall, (were such a thing possible) would violate the rooms integrity, no matter what sealant were used.

Howard

Reply to
Howard G

If so, you may be able to use Powerline Networking.

Reply to
John Navas

I was in the IDF for a while in the early 1970's. Everything is made of poured concrete and reinforced with politics.

John mentioned power line networking. Methinks this is probably the best approach. See:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
'm not thrilled with these, but they'll probably work.

Do the rooftops still have 30 TV antennas (and solar water heaters) on them? If the residents have gone to DBS satellite TV, then there should be plenty of coax cables and twinleads running into the apartments. These can be used for ethernet.

formatting link
Also, if the room has a phone line, there's also phone line networking:
formatting link
's not as fast as the others but good enough.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Well, that can't be true, but it may be the rule. It might be _difficult_ to drill a 1/4" hole for a CAT5 cable, but it wouldn't destroy the room's integrity, and some silicone seal would work just fine against gas ingress.

Unless the door is made of wood or plastic, you are pretty much left with John and Jeff's suggestions of powerline or phoneline networking.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

So use a power-line carrier based system. Netgear and Linksys sell kits.

Mike Schumann

Reply to
Mike Schumann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.