"Bluetooth set to take over wireless from Wi-Fi..."

A thought-provoking article that's well worth reading in its entirety. Here's a key portion of the article:

It's hard to put together a convincing forecast of anything except chaos for Wi-Fi. Not this year, not even next year; but after that, the 2.4 GHz band of 802.11b and 11g and 11n will become too congested to use. Can Wi-Fi survive the public disillusionment that will follow? I wouldn't say so.

Meanwhile, the success of Bluetooth is likely to expand. The current spread spectrum technology at 2.4 GHz can duck ad weave around Wi-Fi because it doesn't need to be as ambitious in terms of bit rate, and because of its inherently more efficient use of frequencies. And by the time 2008 starts up, I would bet quite a lump on seeing UWB established as a de facto Bluetooth technology, for handling the high bit-rate stuff.

If the Bluetooth SIG has the foresight to build Mesh technology into its chosen version of UWB, then it will win. ...

What will provoke the switch to UWB and Bluetooth?

I'd say: "Laws."

Some time in the next two years, I expect to see metro area authorities start to call for the banning of Wi-Fi except for the networks they run themselves. They'll be happy to have residents use the metro Wi-Fi, but they won't be happy to have their own critical communications infrastructure sabotaged by seeing fifteen residents each set up a powerful MIMO device on channel 11.

Precedent says that they can do it. Several airports have banned external Wi-Fi from their territory, despite the theory that it's licence-exempt and therefore open to anybody. If a democratically elected body bans private radio transmissions in the area, the only problem is policing it. And the operator of a city-wide wireless network will have no trouble at all in triangulating onto rogue hotspots.

That will make it necessary for people who want their own, private access to their own, private home server, to use another technology. Mesh-linked UWB networks will suit just fine: high speed - faster than you need for high definition TV, anyway! - and low powered wireless which will carry voice, data, and video without interfering with anything else.

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@navasgroup.com (John Navas) wrote in news:%S6Cf.298384$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Maybe so in the UK (the apparent source of this piece), but in the US, the FCC will certainly have a lot to say about such a practice.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Just in passing, how do you think someone becomes an FCC commissioner? Is it a politcal appointment (spoils) job? So let's democratically elect a President who at some point in his past was the mayor of a mid to large city that wanted to do away with residential WiFi. Now just ask yourself who might this newly elected President appoint to the FCC?

Now tell me again what the FCC would have to say about anything?

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

(quoting an article on El Reg)

The pundits say that every year, and every year, theyre wrong. Maybe this year will be different. Maybe they'll discover intelligent life in the Big Brother house.

They can call all they like. They don't control it in the UK.

Airports are private property. You can ban wifi on your land too, if you want to. Doing so is of course pretty pointless.

No, the only problem will be explaining to your voters why you wasted all that money on defending your illegal move in the High Court.

I think someone has been reading too much propaganda. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I seriously doubt it would happen in the UK either. The Radio Agency doesn't tend to lift a finger unless there's a complaint from a proper official body such as the CAA, police, BBC, fire etc. They certainly aren't interested in policing Joe Bloggs with a wifi router at home.

The cited case of airports is specific as they are privately owned and so I wouldn't see a problem in enforcing radio transmissions on private property any less than a corporation could do so with an overlay solution such as Airmagnet/Airdefense etc. They might have difficulty doing it from a legal point of view though.

Quick question, how many people do you think forget to turn off their mobile phone when on an aircraft? How effectively is that policed?

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

formatting link

Reply to
Bob II

:) Thanks for that, I only ever got to speak to them twice and that was probably just before their demise.

Ofcom seem equally uninterested in pretty much anything enforcement wise, more interested in creating paperwork. ;)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

John Navas hath wroth: (...)

It's interesting to note that the recent crop of Nikon digital cameras use 802.11g Wi-Fi and not Bluetooth. Nikon CoolPix P1 and S6 are

802.11g while the D2H is 802.11b. No Bluetooth from anyone yet. There's rumors of a Wi-Fi camcorder, but no real products yet. Methinks it's too soon to declare Bluetooth the eventual winner.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

By most accounts, Nikon Wi-Fi has been a flop, panned by reviewers and customers alike. Look for Canon or Sony to make wireless happen.

Reply to
John Navas

Review of Nikon CoolPix P1 wireless:

formatting link
the conclusions at:
formatting link
says: "The WiFi features were simple to setup and use. Using the supplied software it was easy to get the camera to talk to my D-Link 802.11g router and transfer photos. It really does work as advertised as long as you are within the operating limits of your router." That doesn't sound too horrible.

Here's another review that says he likes the wireless:

formatting link
PC Magazine doesn't seem to like the wireless features:
formatting link
complained that it was difficult to setup with a wireless hot spot. I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that, but it had them stumped. As usual, they had trouble with WEP. My guess is the usual ASCII to Hex conversion problem. They also complained that one couldn't take photos and send them via wireless at the same time. If that is how they use the camera, little wonder they failed to be impressed.

I didn't realize the Kodak also made a Wi-Fi digital camera:

formatting link
Mag seems to like it better than the Nikon Coolpix P1.

Anyway, that's now 4 cameras with Wi-Fi and zero with Bluetooth, which was my original point.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Easy, photographer wanting to urgently upload a shot back to HQ, press photographer for example with an immediate exclusive who doesn't have his laptop to hand.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

WiFi and BlueTooth are such different animals that they aren't even fighting over turf, much less going to supplant each other. Range, speed, power consumption, physical size, nothing's anywhere near the same between them.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

And for what its worth, Guy Kewney has been making this claim ever since bluetooth was invented, if not before. Eventually he'll be right I guess. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Wi-Fi-Enabled Digital Camera Disappoints Wireless capability may help photo sharing, but the price is steep.

Wireless Nikon P1 Fails to Connect Efforts to link wirelessly between the Coolpix P1 and a notebook can be annoyingly fruitless.

Reply to
John Navas

Sony DSC-FX77

The best thing about this particular camera is its Bluetooth capability, offering data tranfer from a distance of up to 10 metres without any cable connection. Data transfer between the camera and a range of devices is smart, fun and convenient. As more and more peripheral devices develop BIP Bluetooth interfaces, the future vision of a wireless world comes closer to being reality.

Sony DCR-TRV80 Sony DCR-IP55 Sony DCR-IP7BT Sony DCR-IP220

Reply to
John Navas

Jeff Liebermann hath wroth:

Argh. I got it backwards. It's the Kodak camera that had problems sending photos via wireless and taking pictures at the same time. Nikon apparently can do that.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

John Navas hath wroth:

Looks like the major complaints were price and connectivity. For a new product with a new feature, overpriced is considered normal. The manufacturer wants to see what the market will bear and is willing to pay. I'm not so sure that the battery life problem is easily fixed.

However, you're still ignoring my point. Two camera manufacturers chose to use Wi-Fi instead of Bluetooth. If the predicted inevitable dominance of Bluetooth is imminent, then it should have been a Bluetooth camera instead. Never mind that the first implimentations are lacking in various ways. That will eventually be fixed. Certainly Bluetooth chips suck less power and are cheaper. Pairing is much easier with Bluetooth than with 802.11b/g. Bluetooth should have been the obvious choice, bit it wasn't. Could it be because Nikon and Kodak found that more home users and wireless hot spots used Wi-Fi and not Bluetooth?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

it is rather clear that kewney has a hidden agenda and/or an axe to grind. his claims are beyond ludicrous and intentionally deceptive.

Reply to
nospam

it disappoints because of numerous things, not solely wifi, and that appears to work just fine.

The Kodak EasyShare One is a very interesting camera with fantastic wireless capabilities but poor camera features and usability. While it's a great concept, it needs a lot of refinement (not to mention a price cut) before I can recommend it.

he writes: I tried it with two different shipping versions of the Coolpix P1, four different computers, and two separate network routers--and never managed to get a successful connection.

but from another review:

I was amazed how simple it was to get the P1 configured to my D-Link DI-624M router considering I had it setup for maximum wireless security with 128-bit WEP encryption enabled.

and another review:

File transfers were dead-easy, and the Transfer by Date option appealed to our lazy natures: Just select Transfer by Date, pick the most recent folder of images and ... well, that's it. The computer put up a dialog box telling us the transfer was underway and if we were feeling especially lazy, we could watch the countdown. Pretty slick.

dave had some issues with wep keys but it sounds like the usual annoyances with wep key hashing, and probably the problem that the pcworld reviewer had.

so much for 'disappointing.' maybe pcworld should stick to reviewing computers and not cameras.

Reply to
nospam
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Since most users are less sophisticated than PC World, that some presumably more sophisticated reviewers had no problems says nothing about the user experience, just as there are lots of software programs that I can use but that I wouldn't wish on any non-expert. That reviewers had *any* problems is a black mark.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.