Blackberry Question

Hi My blackberry stopped downloading emails ever since the email server's IP got changed. Does anyone know how to fix this? I called Nextel/Sprint and they were very vague.

Thanks

Reply to
soup_or_power
Loading thread data ...

When you first got your BB, you had to log into a website to set up the relay between your server and their (BB network) server. That was where you informed their system of your mail server. I would say you need to repeat this step again.

My BB is on T-Mobile, so I'm not 100% sure this is the solution.

Reply to
miso

Hi Miso Thanks for the reply. I don't recall whether I gave the exchange email server's 4-byte IP address or the domain name (e.g. mail.membersedgellc.com). AFAIK, changing the IP address (of mail.membersedgellc.com) should not affect the ability of the blackberry to download. The Nextel/Sprint support people gave me this: a) remove the service book entries b) remove and readd the user on the email server

I don't follow these suggestions. Why should (b) be done as it involves lot of work like saving all the emails on a tape? BTW, the email server is Exchange Server from Microsoft.

Thanks

Reply to
soup_or_power

If your email server uses a domain name as you indicated, the there shouldn't be a problem if the name server translate to the right address. However, this is already beyond my depth. Check out blackberry-users yahoogroup.

Reply to
miso

The IP got changed? Did you configure your blackberry with the IP address or with a domain name? If you configured it with the IP then you'll have to reconfigure it for the new one. If you configured it with a domain name then you'll have to make sure that domain name resolves to the new address. Or if they changed the domain name for the server you'll have to reconfigure the blackberry as well.

DNS names take time to propogate. If your server DNS name was 'mailserver.example.com' on IP address 1.2.3.4 and the address was changed to 4.3.2.1 then it may take couple of days for the servers to pick up on it. This assumes, of course, that the people in charge of the mail server and the DNS records actually configured things properly. Sadly, far too many folks calling themselves sysadmins fail to get this all done properly. But that's a different issue...

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.