Bizarre inability to access Google-related websites from a particular location

I have an issue that is absolutely perplexing me; hoping the greater collective knowledge of this group can come to the rescue.

I have two homes, one in mexico (satellite internet connection through a Linksys Wireless-G router) and another in Las Vegas (Cox digital cable modem through a Netgear Wireless-Draft N router). I get online in both locations without fail on my laptop (Macbook Pro 15"). Here's where things start to get weird.

In Mexico, I have no issues using this laptop to access ANY internet sites.

When I get online in Vegas, I can access all Internet sites EXCEPT

formatting link
or any other sites utilizing Google analytics (particularly
formatting link
and
formatting link

I've reset the modem, the router, flushed my DNS on the laptop -- nothing.

I traveled back to mexico after the first instance of this problem in Vegas and had no issues getting back online there (Mexico). Back to Vegas again, same problem.

Called Cox (the never-very-handy-ISP), told them the dilemma, and they said they didn't support Macs. Well, of course they don't. Troubleshooting the matter further, I was able to access these Google- related sites from another PC and another Mac in the Vegas locale, so the issue has to be local to my laptop build.

PLEASE HELP!!! I can't take anymore searching on MSN out of sheer necessity...it's sapping my will to live.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
tyson
Loading thread data ...

I don't support Macs either, but if I did, I would start with 'traceroute

formatting link
' or 'ping
formatting link
' to verify that my machine could actually get to their site, and that my nameserver was functioning correctly. If that works properly (and I think it should), then I would expect a firewall problem; however, that should also cause problems in Mexico. You need to post this on an OS X list.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

snipped-for-privacy@playaprestigeproperties.com hath wroth:

On you Mac, look into the file: /etc/hosts and see if there have been any entries added other than the basic localhost and broadcast host lines. If you have to do some editing, do it this way:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

EXCEPTwww.google.comor any other sites utilizing Google analytics

Yeah, might be DNS issues with the laptop you're connected to, but doubt it. Otherwise I have no other suggestions.

Reply to
Soccrmastr

What I'm really curious to know is if he can ping one of the IP's of google.?

ping 64.233.167.99 if that does not fail type http://64.233.167.99 into a browser let us know what happens.. I'm having a hard time believing it's in the laptop.. but who knows..

Adair

Reply to
Adair Witner

It might be worth checking the proxy setting on your browser. If your Sat ISP is Hughes then they like to have you use a proxy - 192.168.0.1 port 84. Hughesnet will run without it in any case.

This setting might carry over to your other connection, though I can't see how it would be a google specific problem.

Does sound more like hosts file /DNS thing.

Don't some routers have a DNS cache thing going? I think that DD-WRT has that option. Try eliminating the router from the connection.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Thanks all for the ideas. I'm in Mexico right now, but will try these solutions when I return to Vegas and let you know the outcome. Very appreciative for all the info. Thanks again.

Reply to
tyson

Agree that you should check the hosts file.

I strongly suspect that google arrange to resolve names differently depending on where they think that your IP address is geographically located.

In the UK I get:-

nslookup

Server: xxxx Address: 10.x.x.x

Non-authoritative answer: Name:

formatting link
Addresses: 66.102.9.147, 66.102.9.104, 66.102.9.99 Aliases:
formatting link

This offers a possible explanation for the different behaviour in the two locations.

Reply to
Bod43

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk hath wroth:

Yep. From the left coast of the USA, I get (trimmed): nslookup

formatting link
Non-authoritative answer: Name:
formatting link
Addresses: 72.14.253.103, 72.14.253.147, 72.14.253.104, 72.14.253.99 Aliases:
formatting link

Quite different depending on where you're located. If one of those useless internet speedup utilities were dumping IP lookups into the hosts file to eliminate alleged DNS lookup delays, this could easily be the culprit.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks, good to have that connfirmed.

I had noticed that

formatting link
was about 15ms from London and realised that it was unlikely that they had based their servers all in Europe:-)

Amsterdam, Paris?

This attempted geographic detection does cause us problems with our remote offices since at present we have only one routable address block which we advertise relevant bits of from various locations. Upsets some web sites, :-( but not those that are business critical :-)

Thanks.

Reply to
Bod43

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk hath wroth:

I have no idea how many data centers Google uses world wide, but it's apparently a large list. See:

which lists about 60+. As for the number of IP's used, there appear to be over 600+.

Well, traceroute should give a good guess. Well, that was useless. The last 5 machines don't have a functional reverse DNS record.

72.14.253.103 resolves to po-in-f103.google.com but I can't decode the location from the name. GeoBytes can't find it either:

IP2Location says it's on the US east coast, which makes no sense:

I can do some digging, but I'm too lazy.

Google is not the only ones doing that. See "Anycast".

Locally, PBI/SBC/at&t use it for delivering the nearest DNS server IP address to their DSL customers. ICANN also uses it for the root DNS servers.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.