Biqua Sales

Hey guys,

Just wanted you all to know that I've put together a quick web site to sell Biquad antennas. Only reason is some of you may not know how to solder and things like that so I do that for you and make a few bucks just to keep the site up! Really not making much per antenna but I like building these things. I've got some really cool ideas in mind so check on the site often! Check it out!

formatting link
Thanks Guys

Pete

Reply to
Knight
Loading thread data ...

Groan... I don't like the way you did not extend the coax cable all the way through the reflector and up to the antenna. The configuration you're using will work, but it's far from optimum.

I did an analysis of both ways of feeding the biquad. The right way:

Your way:

There's only a 1dB difference in gain, but the with a VSWR of 6:1 verus < 1.5:1, I don't consider your antenna very good.

Incidentally, feel free to use the above calcs for your web site. The associated NEC2 files are:

Also, I hate to point out that one can obtain similar commercial antennas for only a few dollars more than what you're selling your antenna.

Good luck.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff,

The antennas work great! You can't believe how much the signal increases right after hooking this thing up! Right way, wrong way the Biquad antenna, and the way I build them work great!

Reply to
Knight

Naked..no plastic case. $22.95

formatting link
Plastic case and mounting hardware. $26.99
formatting link

Reply to
DTC

Why should I believe you? I kinda like data sheets, plots, graphs, models, independent tests, comparisons, and all the numbers you seem to be lacking.

Around 2004, there was Ed Williams selling his "Signal Seeker" USB antenna in this newsgroup. It was a panel antenna, built in USB radio, and small tripod. It didn't seem to matter what problem people were trying to solve, his "Signal Seeker" was the right answer. No test results, no numbers, and lots of claims similar to yours. "Works great" was his most common phrase.

Search Google Groups for more of the old postings. It's now morphed into:

which continues the tradition of not supplying numbers.

Incidentally, I suggest look into vacuum forming equipment.

It's fairly easy and cheap to make small quantities of plastic radomes at home in your spare time. A nice cover for your antenna might make it more sellable. I once built a rather crude system made from wood, a hot plate, fans, and a big shop vacuum cleaner. After cranking out

5 acceptable covers for the sales guys, I got to sweat for 2 days cranking out the next hundred. Lots of books and videos on how it's done.

Good luck.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

DTC, You're exactly right! It is naked and I plan on selling one in a case also! Thank you for the good idea!

Jeff, I'm not asking you to believe me. Believe what you want. Yes there are (other) antennas out here for cheaper but certainly NOT as directional as this Biquad. You and I emailed each other about a year ago, you said you would help me in soldering up some connections for a USB adapter. Every time I emailed you, you always had some excuse and was always complaining about something! Funny we meet up again! Please don't be so critical with me. You know this antenna works good so why bash me? I'm just having fun and trying to share a good product.

Thank You Pete

Reply to
Knight

During the first week of August, last year, I was have having my prostate surgically extracted. There were 3 prior reschedulings scattered over June and July, dueing which time I wasn't promising to do anything for anyone. Afterwards, it took me about a month before I could do anything dangerous and disgusting. I don't recall what you asked me to do, but you could try asking again. Actually, I don't recall much from that time as I was rather drugged. My exuse for the month is that I wanna enjoy what's left of summer, have a zillion things I would rather be doing, really am busy, and am shopping for new vehicle which is turning into a major project. Take a number.

Please re-read what I wrote. There was no bashing. I offered you my antenna models (for free). I suggested how to get a cheap radome cover, which you apparently are already working on. I also suggested you get some numbers to justify your claims of superior performance. The proper reply would have been to ask what numbers are required, and how to properly test the antenna.

You might want to look into building and selling Franklin or AMOS antennas:

Just lookup the prices for commercial sector antennas with similar specs and you'll see why.

Also, a VSWR meter would make a nice product:

Now, answer my question. Why should I believe you instead of the numbers?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I'll send you one! Test it out your self.

Reply to
Knight

Jeff,

You wrote: Groan... I don't like the way you did not extend the coax cable all the way through the reflector and up to the antenna. The configuration you're using will work, but it's far from optimum.

I am not using coax but only the N female panel mount connector. I'm confused on how you mean or how to make it better! Sorry for all the problems but I would like your help.

Reply to
Knight

Plastic case and mounting hardware, $31.00 13dbi

formatting link
That's 7db more for only for $4.01 :-) BTW, I bought the 19dbi model and I'm more than satisfied! Mike

Reply to
amdx

Agreed, with professionally made antennas this cheap, bi-quads have no value to me. Here's the 12 dbi 60 deg panel antenna we use:

formatting link
Why bother to buy/make a homemade job when I can get this?

I understand it's fun to make things, but at some point, it's like, "look, I can use a piece of charcoal and not have to buy a pencil!"

I second Jeff's suggestion that you or some other motivated person look into making sector antennas.

Why?

- there are various cheap antennas on the market that match or better the biquad or cantenna specs

- biquads and cantennas (or instructions) are commonly availible and easy to make if you did want one. Saturated market.

-Sector antennas have unique patterns that no other antenna can offer

- they are the best solution for many point to multi-point installations

- nobody has homemade ones for sale and instructions are limited and cryptic

- factory made sector antennas are quite expensive - running around $100, not $30.

So, it's more of a challenge, but looks like instead of riding on the tail end of a now somewhat pointlless trend, you could play with something that needs doing and maybe build up some buzz for homemade sectors...

Just a comment. I'm too spread out to do it myself. So hey, kudos for making things and getting them out there!

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
seaweedsl

GREAT ideas guys! I'll have to look into those Sector antennas for sure! I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Jeff, those plans look great! Good job. Maybe I'll try it out but like you said no way to measure the SWRs. We'll see!!

Pete

Thanks both of you!!!

Reply to
Knight

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.