Big Monitor Scare. (HP L2335) (Wireless/GSM interference ?!?!?)

Wow,

A few minutes ago the most scariest thing happened, it was amazing and unbelievable.

I just saw a movie about a nuclear submarine and a mutiny.

After the movie was over I went to my computer... and the monitor was completely black, no screener saver, no nothing.

I can't remember if the monitor was in sleep mode (orange led) or just on (green led)

It probably was in sleep mode indicated by the orange light.

So I moved my mouse, nothing... happened... I could hear harddisks being active but the screen didn't come on.

So I touched some keys on the keyboard, nothing happened... I tried control-alt-delete and enter multiple times. I could hear a windows beep from the soundblaster... but the screen didn't come on.

The green light was burning, but the monitor stayed black.

I didn't know what to make of it, some thoughts that went through my mind:

1. Did the pc crash again ? Seems unlikely... it seems the pc is still active.

1. Is a hacker hacking the computer ? Hmmm.

Then I started to get worried about the monitor itself.

I was like "ok.... I'll just turn off and on the monitor and the screen will come up as always".

So I try to turn off the monitor... and then I try to turn it on again.

BUT:

The monitor DID NOT TURN ON again ?!

I WAS LIKE: "WTF ?"

Then I was like: "Ok I know this monitor has button issue's... I probably didn't press it good enough (I already tried a couple of times)

I was like: "Ok, maybe the monitor or the system needs a little bit of unused long time/delay to come on".

So I press the power button of the monitor again... and again and again and again:

NOTHING.

The monitor stays out.

I was like: "Oh my god... what is this shit ?"

Then I was like:

"Ok, I'll just do a reset and then everything will be fine... maybe windows just hang and caused the monitor to somehow freeze up or so."

So then I do a reset.

Still nothing ! The monitor remains dead... even after pressing the power buttons multiple times.

Now I start getting scared...

I think ok maybe the pc is bad and causes the monitor not to come on... maybe some kind of power issue.

So I completely turn off the pc.

Now I try the monitor again:

NOTHING, THE MONITOR REMAINS COMPLETELY DEAD.

Ok

Now I am really starting to get worried:

I am like: "Oh my god... this is unbelievable ?!?!"

I am like: "Oh my god... this is unbelievable ?!?!"

I am thinking to myself: "Please don't tell me my monitor died cause them my confidence in electronics is gonna hit rock bottom !?!?".

Now comes the most strange part, I am not sure that I actually did this because it makes little sense... but I think I did do this:

I pull the power cable from the power box extension.

I plug it back in into the same slot.

NOTHING.

THE MONITOR REMAINS DEAD.

I am like: "Oh my god, what the f*ck ?"

I am like: "Oh my god, don't tell my 1000 euro monitor is dead ?!?!?!"

I am like: "Ok this is impossible ?!"

I kinda knew it must be something weird with the power box.

So I pull the power cord of the monitor again and I pull the plug of the PC.

And I switch the plugs.

But before doing so... I blow off ALL DUST and FLUFFY STUFF that was inside it.

Now I put the monitor power cable back in.

I push the power button of the monitor:

BINGO.

Green light is burning and the monitor's little status window is floating around.

I am like:

"Thank GOD !!!" :)

I am like:

"Oh my god, how weird ?!?!? and totally unbelievable ?!?!".

So now I plug in the PC power cord... and boot up etc..

And now everything is working fine again.

THIS IS DEFINETLY THE WEIRDEST THING EVER.

Now it's anybody's guess what the hell happened.. but here goes some of my possible explanations:

1. Somehow the software of the HP L2335 FROOZE UP COMPLETELY. Only a power loss could restore it ?!?!

1. Somehow the pc hardware made it frooze.

2. Somehow windows software made it frooze.

1. Maybe the power plug was slightly loose... I checked that... but it really wasn't the case... so that's really weird... and when I pressed on it it didn't come back on... so really weird.

2. Something weird happened with the power box/extension/distributor.

1. Maybe somebody hacked into my monitor's software... my favorite explanation lol... highly unlikely... but if true that would be spectacular LOL. But just a fun explanation I think ;)

2. Maybe monitor getting flawky ?

1. Aliens attacking my hardware ;)

2. Goverment attacking my hardware with beams ?

1. Wireless/gsm interference ?!?!

The monitor never behaved this way... so it's something strange and very very very very very rare.

The software bug in monitor sounds plausible... but why would it happen now ?

What kind of condition would cause it to freeze up ?

It would be interesting if HP could check the software to see if there is a bug in it.

Now let's assume... there is not a bug in the software... because so far it has never happened before ?!?!

Then there must be another explanation...

One could say: Just random failure of some part of the electronics... maybe a transistor got stuck or so... I never heard of such a thing so this could be just fantasy....

Finally I start to wonder if this is because of Wireless/gsm interference.

I have noticed such things on speakers...

They warn about such events occuring on aircraft.

So I think explanation 10. Is highly plausible and likely !

Think about it like so:

If even intergalactic gamma rays could disrupt cpu's... then gsm's/wireless could probably disrupt electronics.

I live in a pretty big city for my country size... in the heart of the city... such at least 5 to 10 wireless networks activity... and probably lot's of gsm activity from all the people in the city etc.

This is definetly a bit worrieing for me....

I hope people see the danger of wireless and gsm's and simply ban it or so ! ;) :P

I don't use that stuff anyway... way too risky.

Now suppose that radio interference is really to blame....

Then one could start wondering... how could radio interference screw up other bussinesses and people.

To thinks come immediatly to mind:

1. Medical equipment: I just hope that they are designed to take radio interference. (Probably difficult to do ?)

Maybe hospitals have thick walls to prevent this kind of event happening... and maybe gsm's are banned in hospitals ?!?

1. Banks:

What the hell would happen if this happened to bank account software...

Well big banks probably have data centers etc... but they also have other devices connected to it...

So the question becomes... what kind of interference and event could still cause some kind of weird but spectacular malfunction that turns out nasty for the bank and maybe positive for the customer or maybe vice versa ?! ;)

My final conclusion:

If my theory is correct and my monitor malfunctioned because of interference... then this is definetly something that people will have to think about better... because as more and more wiresless stuff is deployed it could become a nasty problem ?! ;) :)

Ok maybe this one crash doesn't matter.. but then again... what if car systems start malfunctioning ? or nuclear facilities...

Or all kinds of stuff have electronics in it nowadays ?!

People beware !

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying
Loading thread data ...

One last possible explanation:

1. Fly in monitor.

The last couple of days I had some flies in my house and even fly cocoons ?!?!

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Oh yeah I forgot one:

1. Maybe all the dust and fluffy stuff had anything to do with it.... Probably not... but I want all theories recorded ;) :)

Bye, Skybuck ;)

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Do you still have the box your computer came in?

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.