Better range notebook antenna available?

I live about 2 -3 blocks from city provided wireless access point. I can pick it up on my laptop but the signal is just short of being able to get on to the net. Is there no easy attachable, maybe USB type antennas that would give me better reception?

Reply to
gf
Loading thread data ...

The OP should be aware that Mr. Williams has demonstrated to everyone in this newsgroup that he cannot be trusted in regard to the products he sells. His marketing claims cannot be verified. He will not produce requested information. And has done *nothing* to convince anyone here that his product is anything other than a functional USB device with a mediocre antenna that will work, but in no way will out perform other similar and in some cases less expensive solutions.

There is not a single poster to this newsgroup other than Williams who recommends his product. The one person who has actually seen one of them returned it for a refund due to poor performance.

A google search for past threads will be a money saver if you are considering such a purchase.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Reply to
Ed Williams

Blatant advertizements are bad enough. But your marketing hype, which is *clearly* both false and fabricated, is way too much.

The feedback you fabricated? I did look at it.

You are quite welcome to read the articles I post in this newsgroup. It's public information.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Fine. How does that apply to the device in question? He is selling a transmitter device, and until now has refused to provide the ID number. He just did post it though, so someone will shortly have comments on what it actually is.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Reply to
Ed Williams

Note that this isn't phrased in the form of a question. You know exactly what you can do, Ed, but you consistently refuse to do it. Just to refresh your memory, please start with the FCC ID of the device, so we know it's even legal for you to sell it.

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Reply to
Ed Williams

formatting link
?id=2789 I was having trouble confirming, but the top photo here seems to show that it is indeed a Trendnet USB device.
formatting link
They're available from tigerdirect.com for $19.99 with a $10 rebate. Didn't shop around very much.

Reply to
Rôgêr

Reply to
Ed Williams

I didn't say I would help you much. "I have told several people FCC ID:NHPWLB1500. Does this help." I have hundreds of different USB devices. I sell them on Ebay. And I do have some of the Trendnets I'll be putting on Ebay and they do have a rebate. Thanks for the PLUG.

Reply to
Ed Williams

Okay, let's look at it this way for comparison. Order a Trendnet USB device like yours from TigerDirect, you'll pay about $28.00 including shipping (if you don't buy anything else to spread shipping costs across several devices). Let's say you forget to use the $10 rebate coupon and the final price of the radio is $28. Now take your product's price of $99 + $10 shipping for a total of $109.00. The difference between the two of $81 would cover the price of the antenna and manufacturing costs, plus research, development and of course, your profit.

I'm having a problem verifying that this is the same device used in your Signal Seeker. I find no mention of configuring the Trendnet device as an access point or wireless router as you state in your ad. What am I missing? In an email to me, you or someone answering for you said you "OEM" the device. So, does the FCC number you gave still apply? This is confusing.

Reply to
Rôgêr

Reply to
Ed Williams

That was the last price I saw on them too, but the link he provided today has them for $99 + $10.

Reply to
Rôgêr

That requirment no longer stands:

formatting link
THIRD-PARTY ANTENNA USAGE

While the requirement for unique connectors remains, the regulations for certification of antennas have changed with the new rules introduced in October 2004. These new regulations permit any user to install any antenna that is of the same family or style, and equal or lower gain, than any certified antenna. For example: if a 10-dBi patch antenna is certified for use with a specific WLAN transmitter, any patch antenna with a gain of 10 dBi or less may also be used, regardless of its manufacturer. Or if a Yagi directional antenna with a gain of 13.5 dBi is certified with a transmitter, any Yagi antenna with 13.5 or less gain may be used with that transmitter.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Ed wrote: <

formatting link

" For example: if a 10-dBi patch antenna is certified for use with a specific WLAN transmitter, any patch antenna with a gain of 10 dBi or less may also be used... "

That wouldn't seem to apply to Ed's device. The USB pen doesn't normally have an external antenna attached, and is likely not certified for use with any. Of course Ed might not have a direct electrical attachment to the radio. He might be selling an unmolested USB pen adapter and a reflector.

Reply to
dold

It's $139 plus $10 shipping.

Reply to
dold

Jeff

I use several different types of USB adapters. I don't know what your problem is. Who cares what electronics I use. The antenna is what I'm selling. I have put it by the best can antenna I can find. It is as good or better. And if you pull mine out in the airport some one isn't going to think you have a weapon. It's small convenient to use. You can unplug it and take it with you when traveling. It will work on any computer that has a USB port. It's very rugged. The case can take outside elements. The antenna is small enough to put in your briefcase. It's just a great little antenna. So I'm having a problem and I'm wasting a lot of my time with you guys. A car as tires on it when it leaves the factory but that's a small part of the car. Why don't you guys stop wasting my time only trying to fill your big egos?

formatting link
'NHPWLB1500'>

formatting link

Reply to
Ed Williams

You didn't tell me, even though I've asked about 4 times. No problem.

802.11b only, no 802.11g, USB 2.0.

FCCID page:

formatting link
'NHPWLB1500' I don't recognize the RF chipset. Something like: "AIROHN" from the inside photo on the FCC web pile.

Made by Cameo Comm Inc in Taiwan:

formatting link
Not listed as a current product (replaced by 802.11g version) so the WLB1500 is either surplus or end of life product.
formatting link
From the FCC test data, table 7.3, the TX power output is about 12dBm.

From the user manual, the rx sensitivity is: -85dBm at 11Mbits/sec for 8% packet error rate and -96dBm at 1Mbit/sec for 8% PER (which I consider to be rather optimistic)

The built in antenna is (in my never humble opinion) a bit better than worthless. However, attaching an external antenna looks fairly easy.

formatting link
The Windoze utilities that come with the drivers (traffic, config, etc) appear to be better than typical, but lack any useful diagnostics such as error rate and S/N radio graphing. Driver stopped at version

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I have a problem with 1) commercial posts to this newsgroup, and 2) marketing with false claims.

He has not been "up front" with *anyone*.

You might notice that you are the only one supporting him. I'm just one of a rather vocal majority here.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.