Best wireless-g router for regular 802.11g laptop

I searched the web for reviews of recent Wireless-G routers, but all reviews seem to bench the routers with their corresponding wireless card, which often use proprietary protocols to get better performance (and range). Since I plan on connecting using a Dell laptop with a "regular" 802.11g wireless card (actually it's a Dell Wireless 1390 card - from Broadcom), I would like to know what Wireless-G router to buy in order to get the best range. Or maybe they all perform the same when in regular 802.11g mode?

Note that I plan on installing this router on the highest floor of a large (two storey + basement) house, so I want to maximize my chances of getting good signal strength everywhere in the house. Can I expect to find a good (and cheap) device for the job? Should I consider upgrading the antenna?

Note also that I have experience with an old Linksys 54G bought 3 years ago (was it the WRT54G?), and I am not impressed with the effective range I get. I use it in a small one-storey house, and I often get bad signal (and loose connection) at far locations in the house.

Thanks for your help,

Ozo.

Reply to
Ozo
Loading thread data ...

try geting the high gain antenas for the linksys (do you still have the wrt54g) and you might consider alternate firmware for the linksys and increase the power.

Reply to
developers

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.