Best way to expand WLAN for streaming compressed FLAC files?

Since I need to stream compressed FLAC files in a large house, I need to have a WLAN system that does not use WDS as I can not accept speed halving at each WLAN node. So should I use two wrtg54G's (different SSIDs) at each spot and bridge them? Or should I look at equipment that has this built in whatever that would be?

TIA, SD

Reply to
SD
Loading thread data ...

the "best" way if you are concerned about bandwidth availability is probably to use multiple access points and link them using cables of some sort. The wireless link(s) thruput is the limiting factor, so only use it where you have to.

So - Cat5 and 100 Base-Tx is probably best, but if youcannot get the cables around the house then Homeplug or similar would connect the boxes via the mains. some of the hardware for Homeplug is country dependent (ie. last time i checked the Netgear stuff is only for 110v, so no use to me in Europe).

if you have some cabling, then linking fixed devices such a s video sender via cable will also free up wireless capacity.

if you have to use wireless for several links, then thry to use 802.1a for some or all links - there are more channels available, and since the kit costs more, fewer users causing interference.

Reply to
stephen

I can not find Homeplug AV equipment. Homeplug 1.0 only goes up to

14Mpbs which is not fast enough (I think) for streaming FLAC files.

SD

Reply to
SD

Netgear 4 port 85 Mbps homeplug unit

formatting link
couple of reviews for homeplug 85m
formatting link
?pid=637 both used the same house for tests - both were not so good....

i need to stress - this is something i would only use if i cant pull cables, since every Cat5 gives you 100 Mbps full duplex, and no shared medium where other conversations may slow you down (unlike wirless or homeplug)

the newer version claims 85 Mbps - since it uses the wiring as an access bus, there is going to be some overhead, so expect a fair bit less than that in practice.

it isnt AV gear - this is networking. The idea is to build a set of network plumbing, and plug whatever you want into it (using Ethernet which is the common interface)

just about any modern laptop / desktop / high end games console comes with Ethernet, and it is available on personal video recorders and similar gear.

Reply to
stephen

Devolo and Netgear's current 85Mb stuff is autoswitching.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Reply to
miso

Typical FLAC bitrate is 800-1100 Kbps (about 1 Mbps), for which even Homeplug

1.0 (about 5 Mpbs throughput) is sufficient.
Reply to
John Navas

Reply to
miso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.