Best Way for 2 Sites 200 feet line-of-sight??

200 feet? A good MIMO router at one end and an AP at the other should work with no problem. Fallback is to locate the router and AP near a window in both buildings, or in the attic (if there is one). Shoot, I get 10-12 neighbors in my upstairs home office some whom are over 1000 feet away.
Reply to
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.
Loading thread data ...

Directional antennas are the way to go. Routers use two antennas (not simultaneously) by 'choosing' the one with the best signal. If the diversity system gives you any problem (it shouldn't), then replace the remaining omnidirectional with a 50 ohm dummy load.

The higher the gain (on both ends), the better -- not only will it improve signal quality, but it will reduce interference to and from others. High gain antennas won't compare with WPA as a security measure, but it's less likely someone in your general vicinity will pick up your signal unless they are directly in line with your antennas.

Try using a wireless router or access point on one end and a wireless-Ethernet adapter (wireless client) on the other. The alternative is to use two access points that are capable of 'bridge' mode. If you do it that way, use identical units on both ends and make sure the 'bridge' mode means that it bridges two wired networks wirelessly.

Don W.

Reply to
Don W

formatting link
?product_id=315&menu_id=14
formatting link
?U1E55330C Looks like the favorite is the Planet WAP-4000

I still like the wireless Ethernet client:

formatting link
Don W.

Reply to
Don W

Anyone, please.

I have a situation where there's a sales office and a construction back office. They both need to be on the same WiFi network. The two sites are located about 200 feet apart in wood frame structures with NO intervening obstructions. Trying to minimize cost and the number of gadgets and any outdoor temporary LAN cabling would be nice. What's the best option? What's a reasonable list of options?

A fancy new wireless router with extended range like a Belkin Pre N seems an option to catch both sites with one gadget? Only B & G modes are needed. However if such doesn't reach both sites reliably then what's plan B? It's my understand that recent routers like the Belkin Pre N require that the three antennas are like a phased array such that one can't disconnect one antenna and put a directional high gain antenna there?? So is there an optimal choice for a single B/G router with a few hardwired LAN ports that could have one antenna used for local WiFi and the second antenna removed and cabled to a high gain directional antenna?

What overall are the reasonable options to attain this goal that may include step-wise experiments that don't require throwing out the elements of previous lack of success?

Side question: I guess that the '802.11N' standard has now been formally agreed to. Does anyone know how that came out with respect to various mfg. 'pre N' implementations? It was speculated that some "pre N" products might work with a simple firmware upgrade for the final 802.11N standard. Anyone know how this has played out?

Thanks.

Reply to
fred

Not true for the lastest technology like the thre antenna Belkin Pre N products.

Can you give an example of a specific product that runs in this 'bridge' mode?

Reply to
fred

Reply to
frankdowling1

Construction site? Might heavy equipment drive between the two buildings? Will anything park between the two? Maybe off the end, where the flat side of a truck would cause reflections? (MIMO would help a lot.)

The Netgear MIMO WPN802/824 has seven internal, no external antennas. The Netgear WPN311 PCI card could have an external (indoor) directional antenna added, if needed, but the Netgear page claims 500 feet for the 824/311 combination.

formatting link
I have used the "Hawking HAI6SDA Directional 6dBi 2.4GHz Antenna" with good success on a Netgear WG311. The WPN311 looks like it could use the same antenna.

Reply to
dold

Reply to
fred
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Entirely different brands.

NETGEAR licensed only a few ZyXEL routers. Most NETGEAR products aren't related to ZyXEL.

Reply to
John Navas

NetGear used to be Zyxel (from Taiwan).

Hans-Georg

Reply to
Hans-Georg Michna

John,

ah, didn't know that, thanks! I had seen one of those routers.

Where are the corporate headquarters of NetGear located?

Hans-Georg

Reply to
Hans-Georg Michna
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
Reply to
John Navas

John,

thanks again! I looked for that on the web but must have overlooked or not found that page.

So they are in California.

Hans-Georg

Reply to
Hans-Georg Michna

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.