Best newsgroup or web forum for wifi sharing?

This newsgroup doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic. Are there any web forums that somebody could point me to that deal more with grabbing unsecured Wifi or cracking WEP networks for free internet?

Also I need to learn about how vulnerable my computer is on such a network. I've turned off folder sharing in the main areas but probably I've missed a few areas.

I'm new to this. I don't want to start downloading massive amounts of files because that will degrade the connection. Just light web surfing - mostly text based - that way I'm not interfering with the quality of the connection. Hopefully that will make it less likely that the owner will lock it down.

Also I was wondering if people often set up unsecured networks in order to entice people to log in so they can snoop on what these freeloaders are doing? Can the owner of the router know each website or newsgroup I go to? What about keyloggers? Can they retrieve passwords?

Reply to
MieName
Loading thread data ...

Unfortunately, while your questions imply innocent intentions the answers would also enable not so innocent uses.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

"MieName" wrote in news:gtkelc$dn2$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

obviously not this one, hehehehe. often here you have people here trying to impress everyone with how much they know rather than actually help someone.

easy as pie, run a sniffer.

Reply to
poopsee

not just snoop, some run em just to pass viruses to freeloaders, to either kill their machine, or infect any others the offender connects too....

Reply to
Peter Pan

If you look around, you will find a lot of websites that repackage this newsgroups discussions as their own. That might help you feel better about it. I 'have found excellant advice here and try to be helpful in return, but the way you approach it makes it unlikely you'll get any help anyway.

Certainly not with hacking in any case.

Go here and try these people:

formatting link
Hard to tell what that poopy kid is trying to say, but obviously he can't out find much himself as he offers no links. Makes you wonder why he's here.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsl

So you're sayingt they can retrieve my passwords no matter what I do by running a sniffer (whatever that is - I'm just learning about this stuff)? That is kind of frightening if true. Guess telephone banking from a payphone does have its advantages! And if its true it sure makes unsecured wireless internet a lot less attractive.

Reply to
MieName

Start learning what sniffers are all about by searching google:

formatting link
This was the first real hit:
formatting link
Lou

Reply to
LouB

formatting link
This was the first real hit:
formatting link
Thanks Lou. My reading starts now! :)

Reply to
MieName

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.