best mini pci wireless card?

I'm going to add an internal wireless card (mini pci) to my notebook, which is the best one? I've heard good and bad about Intel cards.... thx LT

Reply to
LT
Loading thread data ...

I have 2 Intel's with no probs at all. There will be thousands of these out there and you will only hear about the handful of bad ones. One must expect some electronic failures with mass produced goods.

Reply to
Henry

I would avoid the Intel card. They have driver issues which Intel hasn't addressed through several driver upgrades. It appears that Intel is deliberately crippling their own cards ...

Reply to
Jerry Park

Really? I've had good luck with Intel 2200bg cards, and am impressed by their driver updates and functionality.

What specific driver issues are un-addressed, and what functionality is being crippled?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

The Transmit Power setting is supposed to be at maximum by default (according to Intel's documentation). It appears to be set at maximum when you look at the properties of the card. But it isn't. Change it and you will see an increase. It seems to always start up at about 40%. You can change the setting and get 100%, but each time the card starts you must do that again.

The transmit speed varies wildly. Not a problem in itself, but eventually it drops to 1mbps. It stays there and will not communicate. Eventually the connection will fail, but you will probably disable/re-enable the card before that happens to re-establish the connection.

Reply to
Jerry Park

Jerry Park wrote: [Intel 2200BG problems]

How does one see an increase?

How long is eventually? If it's longer than the 4-hour battery life of my machine, I've probably never seen it.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Try Net Stumbler. Watch the signal as you change the setting.

It varies. No perceptible pattern.

Reply to
Jerry Park

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.