Best firmware for WRT54G as bridge?

I want to extend a wireless network so need bridge functionality in my WRT54Gv3.

I see several web pages describing how to do this, but many of them are outdated.

What is the current hot firmware for the '54Gv3? I need simple VOIP as well as normal functions (mail, usenet, www).

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC
Loading thread data ...

DD-WRT VOIP edition

formatting link
Check version support here
formatting link

Reply to
TheDragon

You really should ask this in the DD-WRT forums.

What kind of wireless network do you want to extend? Are you planning to use the WRT54Gv3 as a repeater or a 2nd wireless access point? Bridges have two end points. One is your WRT54Gv3. What's on the other end?

I see no web pages. URL's?

DD-WRT is my favorite. However, it is not delivered hot or even warm.

What type of VoIP function do you need? Do you need to terminate the VoIP connection in the router? If so, the VoIP version of DD-WRT includes Milkfish, which is a mini-Asterisk server.

I had a hell of time getting it to work when I tried it. Performance stunk because Milkfish gobbled all the CPU cycles in the router. Not recommended. ...Or do you just need QoS for SIP (or H.323) in the router to improve voice quality. If so, then standard or the no-kaid version will work just fine.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

DDWRT is the obvious choice. Also, Tomato is gaining a lot ground due to it's simpler interface and bandwidth monitoring.

I would like to try it, but need some of the special ddwrt features. For simple, client or bridge mode, Tomato should work well.

Google to get reviews installation instructions. Or go here for info on all the firmwares:

formatting link

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsl

Having a look at the forums I can understand his confusion as no one really seems to know whether you should use the Vintage or Standard builds as different people seem to have differing results.

Although they do say on page 10 "This is a very old thread and some of the information regarding NEWD on

4712 processor units no longer applies.

Bottom line - Check your nvram variable for wl0_corerev (corrected)

4 and lower = VINT only 5 and higher = NEWD. "

The thread was going to be closed but is remaining open.

Reply to
LR

Yep. That's because the only way to run: nvram show wl0_corerev is AFTER installing one or the other build. Kinda a chicken or egg problem. To add to the confusion, the extremely muddled download pages include a vintage subdirectory for wireless routers that have never had a 4712 processor. What I do is install the standard NEWD build, run: nvram show wl0_corerev and reload the firmware with the vintage VINT build, if necessary.

So, I go to try it on my current router and find that the recommended command dumps the entire NVRAM. Yet another bug. Try: nvram show | grep wl0_corerev instead.

root@DD-WRT:~# nvram show | grep corerev size: 24350 bytes (8418 left) wl_corerev= wl0_corerev=9

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.