best broadband router ???

Hello all,

I'm having trouble with stability on my USR maxg router, it loses connection etc... I also tried in the past the WRT300N, but the range sucks, half of the time my pc did not find the router. One of my first routers was a ASUS WL-500g, this one was nice, good range and nice stability (too bad i sold this one for the WRT300N...)

I would like to have some back-up from you all for my next router. I'm using broadband (cable) internet from Telenet (Belgium) and we have 2 laptops wireless connected. The only thing i want is a very stable router with a good range. I'm just using the router for visiting internet sites and email, sometimes some downloads but not much. I would like to keep using the internal wifi card of the pc, so 54g (or faster) is oké

Now it's your turn, what is the best broadband router for me to buy ? It does not has to be the latest new router, some older types can do to.

many thanks !!!

request placed at following groups : alt.comp.networking.routers; alt.internet.wireless; de.comp.hardware.netzwerke.wireless

Reply to
Tha Snipe
Loading thread data ...

For quality and stability, I like the Buffalo Technology wireless routers. My WHR-HP-G54 and WLI-TX4-G54HP have been working well, without calling attention to themselves, for monthes.

I believe that you would have to step up to enterprise level products like Cisco's small routers (think big $) to get more reliable service.

Reply to
David Arnstein

We struggled with similar problems for a long time. We had a Linksys WAP54G that could have been a lot more stable. Other "loaners" didn't perform much better.

I found a new in sealed box Gateway 7001 that is very stable. Current price for a new in sealed box unit is about 1/10th the original retail price.

As an alternative, there are a lot of used Cisco 1121g access points on eBay. They are VERY solid, stable, robust and reliable.

Also consider that if you're only using wireless for internet access, would 802.11b with 11 mbs be adequate for your purpose? Cisco 1200B and

1120B access points are available used in eBay dirt cheap. Check to make sure your wireless card is backward compatible with 802.11b (I think they all are).

Some of these solutions are a little more expensive that the current crop of home networking toys, but are well worth it since you don't have to replace then.

Reply to
Cal Vanize

Not big bucks on eBay. Some of the Cisco access points are going for under $100 used. Cisco 802.11B access points are going used starting for about $25 to $40. New ones on auction are going for about 20% to

40% of full retail.

Also suggest a Gateway 7001. Enterprise level single radio (802.11 b/g) or dual radio (802.11 a/b/g) access point for less than $50 new in box (IIRC, retail around $400 before being discontinued).

Reply to
Cal Vanize

Hi!

A long while ago, my long lived Microsoft 802.11b router got blasted by lightning. I saw the spark while I was sitting across the room reading. It was a very reliable router, although one of the wired ports stopped working out of the blue. Toward the end, it also seemed to be a bit heat sensitive. It ran nearly nonstop for about five years.

I went through a lot of replacements from Netgear, Linksys, Belkin and D-Link. Netgear and Linksys didn't seem stable. The Belkin was OK but simple (and *hot* running). The D-Link wanted to reboot on every setting change and had no ability to selectively block web sites from certain computers. Belkin wanted you to sign up for a blocking service.

Someone turned me on to the Buffalo WHR-G54S and WHR-G54-HP models. Today there is also the newer G125 model, which I have also worked with. I chose to reflash all of these with the DD-WRT firmware and it works great. Unlike every other router I'd tried, Buffalo and DD-WRT far exceeded my expecations. As soon as finances allow, I will be making a donation to the DD-WRT project. A WHR-G54S is my primary router, and two WHR-HP-G54S units make up a WDS bridge linking one house to another. I've used a combination of G54S, HP-G54S and then new G125 model when setting up wireless networks for people. Not a one has ever come back broken or faulty.

So...I'd recommend Buffalo and the DD-WRT firmware.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Either the WRT54GL or any of the buffalo's such as the WHR-HP-G54 or the WHR-G54. There are also a couple of new ones, a g125? or something like that.. On any of them i'd load DD-WRT firmware. Do some reading on the dd-wrt wiki for the right version software to flash to the router.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Curious as to what you mean by the following statement? "Enterprise level products" and "Cisco's small routers"? Thanks!

Reply to
JE

These products are not usually sold to home users because of their cost. I would be very pleased to own a Cisco 800 series wireless router, but these gadgets cost several hundred dollars each. My Buffalo Tech router was about $70, as I recall. You can get prices for a Cisco 851w at Amazon.com, among other sites.

Reply to
David Arnstein

Thanks. I thought maybe that was what you were referring to.

Reply to
JE

Better deal for Cisco 800 series routers on eBay. I got one a couple of weeks ago for under $100 and it works great. And bulletproof.

Used 851W can be purchased on eBay for < $150 (less if you're patient). Since Cisco equipment is so good, its likely that even heavily used Cisco gear will work perfectly for a long time.

Reply to
Cal Vanize

I'll add my #.02 worth:

I've worked with/used Cisco in many applications. But, for your needs in an enterprise-class mode of service I would highly recommend the Netopia

3387W-ENT available from provantage.com for about $125 USD new. Provides everything you will need and more and is as reliable as they get. My firm actually uses them to connect real-time ATMs around the country and they're rock solid. FWIW we tried Cisco 8xx's first and they didn't work anywhere near as well for 5-8x the price.

Good luck.

Reply to
bobmct

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.