Best advice area on WPA with TKIP ??

Right here of course. What would you like to know

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

Ahem. TKIP is just an authentication method. It will work with either a pre-shared key (WPA-PSK) or with a RADIUS server. I don't have a clue what you have to work with so I'll point you to a site that's close.

formatting link
Securing WLAN parts 1 and 2.

This might also be of interest. Stolen from a posting by Lars Hanson:

Authentication Encryption 802.1x checkbox? Method ------------------------------------------------------ Open/Shared None No. Open/Shared WEP Yes, on by default. WPA TKIP/AES Yes, always enabled. WPA-PSK TKIP/AES No.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

could anyone advise on the best advice area for WPA with TKIP

Reply to
Poet

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:43:46 +0800, Poet spoketh

There's really not much difference when it comes to configuration. The biggest problem is actually getting hardware that supports it.

Using WPA-PSK with TKIP is simply a matter of picking those options on the Wireless access point and the wireless clients, and then giving them all the same Pre-Shared Key that'll be used for initial authentication.

Although Jeff is seldom wrong, he got his wires crossed a little. TKIP is the encryption piece. WPA currently supports two methods of encryption: TKIP and AES. TKIP is the same as WEP, but it uses dynamic key exchange to change the encryption keys on a regular basis, thus resolving the problem with the static WEP keys.

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

Yes just the vital steps in creating a WPA with TKIP connection. Have done WEP but WPA etc eludes me.

Thanks

Reply to
Poet

I make lots of mistakes. However, my batting average and guesswork are fairly good. This mistake was caused by posting at midnight after a rather difficult day. Hmmm... It's almost midnight again. Time for me to post some more wrong answers.

Oops. Y'er right. Thanks.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Great reasoning, Jeff and nicely put. :)

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Oh, not really. It's kinda a tradeoff between quality and quantity. I post LOTS of answers. Most are correct. However, if you happen to read one of my screwups, I look much like an idiot. Even my wrong answers sound so good, that they're almost believable. In any case, perfection is difficult on usenet as many of my answers are no better than deductive guesswork based on insufficient information. I gave up keeping score long ago as. I can't seem to get the new and improved Google Groups to disclose how many postings I've made over the years but I think it was about 10,000. My guess is about 50-100 are wrong. That's not too horrible. About 2,000 are probably off topic. Oh well.

Challenge for the weekend...clean up the phone room:

formatting link
every wireless installation, hides a mess of wires.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.