best 802.11a Card ?

What card has the best range and allows you easily integrate an external antenna?

Thank you ! Tom

Reply to
TC
Loading thread data ...

I think I could supply less information in such a question, but I would need to work at it. So, we try the interrogation method of prying loose the necessary information to answer your question.

1. How much range? Feet? Miles?
  2. What speed were you expecteding at that range? They are related. The farther you go, the weaker the signal. 802.11a tries to compensate for the increased error rate of the weak signal by slowing down. What's your minimum acceptable thruput in Mbits/sec?
  3. Is this a client radio (one MAC address) or a wireless bridge (more than one MAC address)? It would be really nice if we had a clue as to what you were going to do with this device.
  4. Very long range usually implies a big dish antenna. At 5.6GHz, solid dishes are the only way to get really high gains without leaking through the barbeque grill dish. Can you afford a solid dish antenna, or are you willing to tolerate a lower gain panel antenna?
  5. I assume that the radio must be mounted at the antenna. Are you looking for an 802.11a PCMCIA or CardBus card to install on an SBC (single board computah) inside a waterproof package, or are you looking for an integrated antenna/radio combination that includes a package?
  6. Do you care about price? If so, what's your limit?
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

first part: difficult to answer - .. depends second part: AFAIK there are still no 802.11a Cards with external antennas, cause of some FCC regulations.

There are 11a-APs with external Antennas from Lancom and Cisco has anounced a AP with external Antennas. But i know no PC-Card (there is no

11a-PCMCIA) with external Antenna.

Greetings Pitz

------------ And now a word from our sponsor --------------------- For a secure high performance FTP using SSL/TLS encryption upgrade to SurgeFTP

---- See

formatting link
----

Reply to
Stephan 'Pitz' Pietzko

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.