Bellsouth Westell wrt54g connection

The below instructions don't work, any suggestions appritiated!

The following article will walk you through connecting Bell South with PPPoE step by step:

Connecting your DSL modem to the router

First connect directly to your DSL modem without the router and verify that you can get on line. Once you've verified that you can get onto the Internet without the router please proceed. If you can not please contact your ISP for further assistance. Now unplug the Ethernet cable that connects to your DSL modem from the back of your computer. Take the connection that you just unplugged from the back of your computer and connect it to the WAN port of the router. Take a different Ethernet cable and plug it into port closest to the WAN port, or into the LAN port. Look on the front of the router. The following lights should be illuminated: Power WAN Link Links/Act (On the port that you connected your computer to). Note If other lights other than Link/Act are illuminated on this port, that is normal You may have a few other lights illuminated depending on the model number router you have, but the 3 above must be illuminated for proper connection.

Hold the Reset button on the front of the router for 30 seconds or more Restart your computer Configuring the Router

Go to your desktop and double click on Internet Explorer (Located on the Start Menu in Windows XP) When ?Internet Explorer? opens type http://192.168.1.1 into the ?Address? bar and click on Go The ?Enter Network Password? window will appear. Skip user name and type admin (admin is the default password) as the password, and click OK Scroll down on this page and look for (on older firmware) PPPoE or select the option for PPPoE under WAN Connection type. The following are the different formats for user names you might run into with Bell South. These differ by area. If one fails please try the next: Username: user Username: snipped-for-privacy@Bellsouth.net Select the option for ?Keep Alive? with a redial period of 20 Click on the Apply button. Then click on the Continue button. Exit Internet Explorer. Power Cycling

Shut down your computer Unplug the power from the router Unplug the power from the DSL modem Wait for 30 seconds and re apply power to the DSL modem Once the lights on the DSL modem stop blinking power up the router Start up your PC Checking your Connection to Bell South

Go to your desktop and double click on Internet Explorer (Located on the Start Menu in Windows XP) When ?Internet Explorer? opens type http://192.168.1.1/Status.htm into the ?Address? bar and click on Go The ?Enter Network Password? window will appear. Skip user name and type admin (admin is the default password) as the password, and click OK On the left of the ?Status? page you will see ?PPPoE Enabled?, and to the right you will see the Status of the connection. It can be one of the following: Disconnected Connecting Connected If the status is ?Connected? you should be able to browse the web, if not reboot your computer If you get an error message please repeat the ?Configuring the router? and ?Power Cycling? steps using a different username. Note: If all four connections fail then please see our knowledge base articles on the error you?re getting.

Reply to
tdubya
Loading thread data ...

Whats the part thats not working? What router are you using? What OS is Installed? Does the Internet connection work without the router installed? Can you log into the router configuration when you have it connected to your PC ethernet port? You need to give us these answers before anyone can help you.

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

I can't get it to do the internet.

I'm using the linksys wireless g broadband router wrt54g

Yes the internet works find without the router.

Yes I log in to the 192.168.1.1 but it doesn't connect the status page shows not connected

I hope this helps, I'm new to wireless.

thanks for your help Robert.

Reply to
tdubya

Robert, when I go to the setup page, I pull down on the arrow at the top of the page and select pppoe, right?

and then an area pops up for me to put the first part of my email addess and password below it.

I go all the way down to the end of the page and select my time zone and then hit save and then continue and then exit explorer.

It must be in the above area that I'm messing up, I've reset everything the instructions tell me to turned off and waited the required time periods etc. and still no connection.

Thanks for your patients

zilla >Whats the part thats not working? What router are you using? What OS is

Reply to
tdubya

connected to your

Check out this link........Look for linksys

formatting link

Reply to
Airhead

It's your WHOLE email address for Bellsouth, NOT just the first part.

Reply to
Tom Scales

Reply to
tdubya

Reply to
tdubya

I've attached two pictures of setup.

Also, I tried the whole email address to no avail, I turned on the log feature and will try again and let you know what the log reads.

zilla

Reply to
tdubya

yes, your username should be your complete email address for Bellsouth. Also are you 100% sure its PPPoe? I think thats what Bellsouth uses, but im using verizon now and they are static IP.

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

Also, in your router configuration there should be somewhere that has a connection log. Look at that if you can find it and it might give you a clue as to why you are not connecting. It might say invalid user name or cant connect to internet provider or cant resolve host. something like that. That could give us some clues on were to go next.

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

What type of dsl modem do you have?

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

OK, here is some new info based on your westel and bellsouth:

The BellSouth Westell modems are specific models made exclusively for BellSouth FastAccess. They are physically and functionally different from retail Westells (or any model designed for use with other ISPs) and the firmware between them are not compatible and can not be interchanged. Built in PPPoE client for connectivity to ISP. -Does not require third party software such as Enternet, RASPPPoE, WinPoet, XP, etc. PPPoE Passthrough capabilities. If you are using a separate PPPoE client the modem will allow the other PPPoE client to negotiate the session transparently. Section Section 2 for more details. Full NAT (Network Address Translation) capabilities Built in DHCP Server (Default Modem IP - 192.168.1.254, Subnet Mask -

255.255.255.0, DHCP Address Range - 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.253) Remote Access capabilities Ethernet and USB connectivity. Ethernet is highly recommended, does not require drivers, and is not dependent on any particular OS. USB connectivity requires USB drivers that may not be compatible with all OSs. You can choose one or the other for connectivity but you can not use both simultaneously. Power supply is 12VAC / 1.2-1.67Amps.

NOW FOR THE INTERESTING PART:

**Attention customers who have or are considering using a router with the Westell. Please see the following tips** 1.. If you are thinking about buying a router don't! The Westell is a router and you can simply use a hub or switch . If you want a wireless network buy an access point . 2.. You may not be able to access the Westell interface when it is connected through another router and must connect the Westell directly to your PC. The modem interface is 192.168.1.254 which is a local IP. By default, most routers do not have the capability to route a local IP out of their WAN port (where your Westell is connected). There are several ways around this problem, but they usually involve extra equipment or major configuration changes. Simply connect modem directly to the NIC, make required changes, then physically reconnect the router. 3.. To avoid connectivity problems when using another router in conjunction with the Westell the DHCP and routing capabilities MUST be turned off in the modem or the router! The best and easiest way is to change the Westell to "Bridged Ethernet"(see
formatting link
for info . Failing to change the modem to Bridged Ethernet may result in double NAT'ing, increased latency, possible IP conflicts, or possibly a network that doesn't work at all. 4.. For instructions on configuring Westells and external routers, please reference these FAQs: See this link for setting up your Linksys Router
formatting link
Standard Default Connection (PPP Passthrough - separate router present) Important Note: Since the Westell has a feature called "PPPoE Passthrough" it is capable of this configuration, however you may cause double NAT'ing, connection problems, or IP conflicts. The preferred method would be "Bridged Ethernet" with a router as described below. Router's PPPoE client used. Username and Password required on router. Do not put your username and password on the modem. Modem has PPP passthrough capabilities. Username and Password on modem must be completely blank. To clear your username and password you must reset the modem using the reset button on the back or through the interface. NIC should be set to "Obtain IP Address Automatically". WAN IP address will be on the modem and the router WAN port, and PC NIC will have a locally assigned IP from the router. Requires no changes in configuration to the modem.

Bridged Ethernet (separate router present) *This is the preferred configuration when using a separate external router. Detailed instructions for this mode are available

formatting link
Must use a PPPoE client on the Router. Username and Password required on router. Username and password on the modem will be disabled when you select "bridged ethernet" connection and save the settings. NAT function on modem is disabled. Routing and DHCP functions are assigned to the router. NIC should be set to "Obtain IP Address Automatically". WAN IP address will be on the router and PC NIC will have a router assigned local IP address. Requires changes to the modem configuration. Must enter Expert Mode, click on the Configuration button and then click on the Connections button. Enable "bridged ethernet" mode from the Protocol pulldown.

I hope this all helps....

begin 666 bred.gif M1TE&.#EA"@`-`/ ``,P``/___R'Y! $```$`+ `````*``T```(4C(^I:P#L

0GHH2T=JNU8?W.#F+N!0`.P`` ` end
Reply to
Robert Jacobs

Tom, I put my whole email address in and it doesn't work. Still working on it!

zilla

Reply to
tdubya

Interesting, but wrong.

I have the WRT54G attached to the Westell on Bellsouth.

The Westell IS a router, but I do not believe it will do DHCP for multiple client machines.

Regardless, the WRT54G will work fine if he just uses his full email address and clicks connect.

Reply to
Tom Scales

You've got to set the westell to bridged mode while you have the patch cable connected directly to it. Then you have to turn off the DHCP server in the Westell.

Next, you have to dic>

Reply to
The Ghost of Thomas Jefferson

Your a Genius Robert, it's up and running, I had to bridge mode the modem.

The website you detailed in your instructions gave me step by step instructions. It's working beautifully.

Oh, just one thing I get a message from my notebook that there is a "duplicate name on the network?"

Any idea what that means?

The notebook and the desktop both surf the net and check mail but I keep getting that little message about the dupication.

thanks again Robert!

zilla

Reply to
tdubya

What Robert said... Here's some more bellsouth info.

I recently upgraded to their 3mb DSL from the regular one. I used the occasion to get rid of my despicable Alcatel 4060 USB modem and to convert from bridges service to PPPoE. I ordered a Westell from BS. It didn't come overnight as promised (actually several days) so I got out my old Zoom X3 modem that I could not get to work on the bridged service.

I hooked it up and got sync but no surf. Zoom had a setup document for BS and I followed that to a tee. Still no luck. I went through literally every one of the DSL setup menu permutations, thinking that maybe this local exchange was still different than the rest of BS's network.

At that point I punted and called tech "support", an act that must be as painful as getting a tooth pulled. I asked for the specifics of my type of service (what kind of PPPoE, etc) and repeatedly got the old "we don't support that modem". After 5 or 6 calls, I got someone with enough sense to boot the call up to Level 2. He listened and said "Oh, you're not running a Westell?" "No, I'm running a Zoom X3". I heard some keys click. I asked if he had made some changes to my account and he refused to answer. Interestingly enough, within seconds my connection came alive and has worked fine ever since.

The implication here is, call BS tech "support" and persevere until you find someone with a clue. Have them make sure that your account is configured for YOUR modem.

I'm not sure this info will help you but here are the DSL parameters that work for my connection on the Zoom:

VPI 8, VCI 35 PPPoE LLC Bridged off (set that to on if you want a downstream router to do your pppoe authentication and DHCP) fully qualified user name (johngd (at) bellsouth.net) password service name - bellsouth Disconnect timeout - 0 Authentication mode - auto Automatic reconnect - yes

John

n Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:41:18 GMT, "Robert Jacobs" wrote:

Reply to
Neon John

Thats what it was they were both named the same...................

Thanks aga>Glad the info helped. As for the duplicate name.....HMMMMMMmm.... Are your 2

Reply to
tdubya

I dont know how its wrong. It came from Bell South.......

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.