Belkin Wireless Pre-N and VPN setup

When you connect to the VPN, open an MSDOS window with: Start -> Run -> cmd and run the command: IPCONFIG You should see two sets for IP addresses. One for your local ISP and one for the VPN. However, there will be only one gateway. If the gateway IP is that of the VPN termination, all your internet traffic will go through the VPN and then on to the internet. This is the most common configuration and is considered a security feature to prevent your router from becomeing a "bridge" between the insecure internet, and the inside LAN at the end of your VPN.

If you are unable to browse the internet when connected to the VPN, then it's because someone at the terminating end has killed the internet connection. Try running: tracert

formatting link
and see how the packets go through the system. If they go through the VPN and just stop, it's your company network that's comastose.

You'll find that some routers only handle one VPN (IPSec or PPTP) passthrough connection at a time. Decoding your posting, I'll guess that you have a F5D8230-4 router. This might help: |

formatting link
couldn't find anything in the manual or data sheet that says anything about VPN passthru on the F5D8230-4.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Belkin are off for the holidays and I cannot find any help on their website, so trying here in case anyone can help.

I just purchased this router to replace a wired-only Linksys router.

I am able to get the router working and connected, but when I connect my office laptop (wired) and access the office via VPN, I am able to connect to the VPN server, but then I am not able to access any intranet web pages, or company servers. I can access public web sites, so it seems to me like an authentication issue but I cannot see where this is done.

I am trying wired access first since I am able to connect the laptop via the Linksys router. I wanted to get this to work before I tried the wireless Pre-N card.

There are two other desktop units on the home network and they can see each other and connect to the internet, so the only problem seems to be VPN.

Belkin claim VPN passthrough in the product specification.

Any help is appreciated.

Dave Paine.

Reply to
Tyke

You don't seem to be alone.

formatting link
people appear to have cured it with updating drivers on the router and network card.

Reply to
Frank

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.