Belkin Pre-N Router as Access Point

I'm trying to set up a second Belkin Pre-N router as an access point for a workstation. There are 2 reasons for this: 1) I don't have a free PCI slot due to other cards I'm running; 2) My OS on this rig is XP x64, and Belkin doesn't seem to have 64-bit drivers available for their network cards yet.

From the workstation, I managed to log into the second router, change it to an access port, set the IP to 192.168.2.5, and set up security to match my "real" router. The problem is that I can't seem to get the "real" router to show the access point in the DHCP client list. Yes, the router is set up for MAC address control, and I did insert the access point's MAC address into the allow list. I also shut off all security to run everything in the open, but to no avail. Has anybody successfully operatedthe Pre-N router as an access point? If so, please detail exactly what you did to set things up to work. Thanks, Jim

Reply to
J&SB
Loading thread data ...

Make the AP with a static IP of 192.168.2.254... subnet for ALL devices including the router should be 255.255.255.0

If it has a static IP of 192.168.2.5 it won't show up in the DHCP list because it's not being issued an IP from the router.

You sure you used the right MAC address? The Pre-N has more than one...

I also shut off all security to run everything in the open,

Jim, What hardware revision do you have of the Pre-N that you're trying to setup as an AP? 100x? or 200x? Are you running a cable from the LAN port of the router to the LAN port of the AP?

Let me know how you make out...

Reply to
GuitarMan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.