Belkin N1 Wireless USB Adapter (F5D8051 ver 2010uk) and Channel 13. Notes on Pre-N Notebook card (F5D8010 ver 1001uk), Wireless G Notebook card (F5D7011 ver 1000uk) and Wireless G Plus router (F5D7231-4 ver 3000uk)

To try to overcome problems with numerous local networks I set my router (a Belkin F5D8230-4 v2) to select channel automatically. It turns out it quite likes to go to channel 13 (this is in the UK - legal here). I am able to confirm that I get the best file transfer rates on this.

If the router goes to channel 13, my Belkin N1 Wireless USB Adapter (F5D8051 ver 2010uk) loses the connection when managed using Belkins own software. After much messing about I was able to establish, using Network Stumbler, that the adapter can see channel 13. I also found that it was possible to connect on channel 13 if I managed the adapter using windows (XP) software.

Belkin tech support were, of course, completely useless and had no idea about this.

For what its worth I also found that the Belkin Pre-N Notebook card (F5D8010 ver 1001uk) worked correctly with channel 13 even when using the Belkin software.

The Belkin Wireless G Notebook card (F5D7011 ver 1000uk) seems to be incapable of functioning on channel 13 at all.

Finally, and perhaps most confusingly, my other router, a Wireless G Plus (F5D7231-4 ver 3000uk), has channel 13 selectable through its web interface but if either channel 12 or 13 are selected, it actually goes to channel 1. I wasted a fair bit of time discovering this!!

Hope the info helps someone and perhaps Belkin will get their act together and make sure that both hardware and software supplied in the UK are channel 13 compatible.

***IMPORTANT*** Please do not reply to snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk This is an antispam address. Please replace effluent with archway.
Reply to
John
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.