Belkin F5D7632 Wireless Issue - help please!

which cards ?

what do you mean by "see". Is the wireless signal detected but nothing happens ? if so look at the TCP/IP settings on the laptops before and after success.

makes little sense, to be honest. Normally a windows laptop will detect the wireless signal and ask if you want to connect (esp if non-secure net it hasn't seen before). When you accept that it gets the IP addresses etc. If it doesn't see it you can force it by looking on the Advanced tab of available wireless networks - you may have done this but didn't say. Someimes a disable/enable of the wireless card via Network Connections helps as XP seems to boot up in the wrong order at times.

Phil

Reply to
PhilT
Loading thread data ...

Try disabling the hard-wired connection before using the wireless one, see what happens when you take that one out of the equation. You don't have bridging enabled, do you?

Reply to
Joseph Stewart

Disable the wired NIC in each laptop. Disable any 1394 connection also. Broadcast SSID. Run either the Belkin Wireless Utility or Wireless Zero Configuration Service, but not both. Disable WZC if it is not used. Download (Google for the link) winsockxpfix.exe and run on both laptops to repair the TCP/IP stack.

In the router, disable MAC address filtering and whatever security is used. When the laptops are connected, go to the DHCP client table in the router and copy the actual MAC addresses the router sees. Enter these in the MAC filtering table without the colons and in all lower case letters. If the computers are connected and with the MAC addresses entered, the computer names will show up automatically in the table. When that is done, you can institute whatever security you want. I also change the default password, the wireless channel, and the IP address block (192.168.xyz.abc where xyz is other than 000 or 001. The router setup page is then at 192.168.xyz.001

Reply to
Quaoar

I have installed a Belkin F5D7632 wireless router modem for my daughter and her husband, but it has a weird problem. I have installed the Belkin high speed PCMCIA cards in each of their laptops, but they do not see the wireless network until they have been physically connected with a LAN cable to the back of the 7632 unit. Once the hard-wired connection is made, wireless springs into life and works perfectly. When the cable is removed the laptops are fine in wireless mode until they are powered off. Next time they use them they have to do it all again. They have different laptops with different security systems on them. I think this problem may be related to the high speed Belkin cards in the laptops as my own laptop (Sony Vaio with Centrino and built-in wireless) works fine with the unit, without the need for a wired connection to kick start it.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Regards

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Had the same problem with the same kit. Could only get it to work with no security. Ended up fiddling until just using the simplest security level worked.

Dave

Dave

>
Reply to
Dave P

Haven't tried disabling the hard-wired as the problem exists on two different makes/models of laptop. Problem is they live over 100 miles from me so I will not be able to do anything technical about it for a while. How do I check to see if bridging is enabled? Is this at the PC end or in the router? Assume the issue is the PCMCIA card end as my own laptop works fine, as does a couple of other people I know with the identical router and different laptops.

Regards

Tom

Reply to
Tom

The only security I have put on for them at this stage is MAC address limitation as I have never managed to get WPA working.

Regards

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Cards are "Belkin wireless g 2.4GHz 125g notebook PCMCIA card"

Without connecting through the LAN cable, no wireless devices are detected in range, even by telling the PC to search for wireless devices.

Tried disabling and restarting the wireless card, but this made no difference. There is no security set on the router, other than restricting it to specific MAC addressess. When the laptops are booted up from cold, the cards are plugged in but no wireless is detected. Hard-wiring to the LAN port on the router results in the wireless being seen within seconds.

Reply to
Tom

If the router is anything like my Belkin 7630 then adding a WAP number for encryption is simple to do in the routers setup screen etc via IE. Don't worry about WPA not nessasary

Is wireless enabled ? Do all pc's have the SSID ? I must say when I got my router I had setup everything within minutes

Reply to
Anorak

WEP I meant!

Reply to
Anorak

Whilst on the Belkin topic I found this hidden page useful for line stats...

http://192.168.2.1/adsl_status_main.stm

Dave

Reply to
Dave P

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.