Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless router problem

I am having a problem with my Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless router.

I am using Firmware 4.03.03 which is currently the latest.

The problem I am having is while trying to set the 128bit WEP 13 hex digit pairs.

There is an option to automatically generate the key by typing a passphrase into a box. Here is where my problem is.

According to the manual there is a generate button next to the passphrase text box but on my router there is no generate button.

I put the passphrase in and just hit Enter. The page went away and did something but came back with no key auto generated.

I then tried entering my own WEP key.

I generated my own 13 hex digit pairs and inputed them into the boxes provided and hit apply changes.

The page goes away again then comes back and all the boxes are empty and my laptop using a belkin 54g card cannot connect to the internet anymore.

I tried setting the key on the laptop thinking maybe the router just doesn't display the key for security reasons but the laptop refuses to connect.

If I disable the security the laptop comes back to life and everythings fine..

This is extremely frustrating any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
DooM
Loading thread data ...

Yes. I also tried the 64bit option and that has the same effect maybe I should downgrade to an earlier version. May I ask what version of firmware you are running and if possible do you have a link to where i can find it?

Thanks for your reply Harvey

Reply to
DooM

Thanks Guys i will give that a try if not ill drop kick it against the wall :)

Merry christmas and a happy new year.

Reply to
DooM

I have an earlier version of the firmware, but it does have a generate button. Probably a stupid question, but are you setting the security mode to WEPbit128?

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey Gratt

I did as Doug suggested and reinstalled the latest firmware. I even re-downloaded the firmware from belkins website. Same thing no generate button and when i try to manually input keys it doesn't want to know.. Never mind. wireless security isnt a big issue as i can turn off dhcp and only allow ips on that i choose and i am also running through a second router where i can deny axs from all ips except those i deem worthy :)

Thanks again for your help, have a nice Christmas and a Happy New Year :)

Reply to
DooM

Reinstall the latest firmware for the router.

Reply to
doug Jamal

My router came with firmware version 3.00.08, unfortunatly I don't know where to get it. I assume yours is relatively new? You should try Doug Jamal's suggestion first - try reinstalling the current firmware version from the Belkin website.

If that fails, contact Belkin. I've found them relatively easy to get through to. At worst, the router has a lifetime warranty and they will replace it.

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey Gratt

If you recently purchased your Belkin, take it back and exchange it for

another one. The F5D7230-4 is a good wireless router and works well.

I'm surprised that reinstalling the firmware failed. Normally, the

issue would be resolved. It is possible that you have a defected

device. You won't know until you exchange it for another one. Anyway,

let us know what happens. Take care.

Reply to
doug Jamal

Are usihg the router as a bridge (AP mode) with another router?. If so, I'm not sure what's suppose to happen wrt encryption, etc.

If not, have you tried a reset to factory defaults (I think you hold down the reset button for 7 seconds, unplug the router, then replug while still holding the reset button doen for a few more seconds). Then see if it works and/or reflash with the firmware.

If all fails, Belkin will replace the unit (lifetime warranty).

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey Gratt

Hey guys merry christmas.

My D-Link 4port router has the modem built in. I am connecting my Belkin to my D-Link router and just using my dlink router as the modem. Everything goes through my Belkin router except one of my servers. Everything works fine except for 2 things.

1) The problem with the wireless security as mentioned in previous posts (I have contacted Belkin about this problem I am waiting for a reply atm)

2) I cannot access my server that is on the D-Link router through network neighbourhood. I cant even see it. The only way i can use it is if I remote access too it on its internal lan IP

It has todo with the netowrk IP's that are asigned to the routers as far as I can work out. Now my D-Link router is on the usual

192.168.0.xxx range and my belkin is on the 192.168.2.xxx range. I tried setting the belkins network range to use the same range as my D-Link router but then I could not access the routers internal web config pages from either router I had to do a factory reset on it and relogin back on the .2.xxx range. I have spent about 5 hours trying to get my machines to talk to each other properly across the 2 routers but they are being as stubborn as my missus ;)

If Belkin dont shed any light on my problem and I cant get it working properly I think I will just buy a standalone adsl modem and plug the belkin straight into that, do away with my D-Link altogether. it will make things so much easier :)

Thanks again for all your help guys. I hope santa gave you all that you wanted this christmas.

Jon.

Reply to
DooM

"DooM" wrote

If you can access it via ip and not by name, you sure dns or netbios is not being blocked on the router?

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

Check your firewall settings. It is possible that it is blocking your access.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.